More on dope

I was looking through supplies for "real" aircraft and found clear dope for $29.30 a gallon. That certainly beats over $5 for 3.5 oz at the LHS. I remember going to a local airport as a kid to buy dope by the gallon. We used to add talc to make a sanding sealer, as well as using the clear. The dope comes in two types: butyrate and nitrate. Does any one know which type is used for models? Hmm... I wonder if I could use the alcohol dissolved analine dyes from my wood shop to color it.... Thoughts?

Reply to
BCRandy

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 10:33:18 -0400, "BCRandy" wrote in :

Both.

Nitrate first to attach & stretch covering.

Butyrate second to make the covering fuel proof.

Yes. I had dyes like that when I was a kid. Never used them--just had read an article and got them from a friend's father. Circa 1965.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ
*But* remember Randy Butyrate over Nitrate is OK. Put Nitrate over Butyrate and you'll be sorry :-)
Reply to
Ed Forsythe

Randolph's aircraft dopes are available from

Just a few cautions, though. clear dopes (both types) sometimes come tinted slightly. They also are sold as taughtning or non-taughtning.

Cheers -- Lyman

"On so-called global warming or climate change, let us not scare ourselves with catastrophic forecasts, or use them to defend and promote irrational interventions in human lives."

Reply to
Lyman Slack

Reply to
R.A.Gareau