Taping aileron gap

I have a Great Planes Viper 500 ARF. I use it for an adrenaline rush. I don't race it. Just zip around the skies. I've got an OS 46 AX with a MA 9.5 x 6 prop and a Macs muffler on it. I've tached it on the ground at 16,500 RPM. Any better suggestions for straight out speed? I've been also considering taping the aileron gap. The gap is not excessive now, but there is a gap. Will I see any significant increase in speed after taping? Should I tape the V-tail surfaces also? TIA Howard

Reply to
Howard

On Fri, 8 Dec 2006 20:45:51 -0500, "Howard" wrote in :

I like to tape hinge gaps in case doing so may make the surfaces more effective and help prevent flutter.

I don't think you could see any change in performance. If it exists, it is a percentage of a percentage point.

I'm sure that there are pylon racer forums or mailing list that would have lots of advice. I used to have an article on four or five hop-up tricks that looked not too impossible. I think the author got about

800 RPM more by using them--though, if I remember correctly, it was a .15 or a .21.

More nitro?

Full-fledge tuned pipe?

New bearings?

Lighten things?

When all is said and done, you may still need a stopwatch to show the improvements. I haven't been there myself, but I'll bet that 150 doesn't feel a whole lot different from 140.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

I like to seal hinge lines with transparent tape, the cheap dollar store kind is sometimes pretty strong. Just clean the under side with alcohol, open the control surface as much as possible and lay the tape in the V. I don't know about increased speed but it's a good idea to seal on high speed models. It's too easy not to. mk

Reply to
Storm's Hamilton

"Storm's Hamilton" wrote: Just clean the under side with alcohol,

Do I tape just one side? Top or bottom or both? Thanks again, Howard

Reply to
Howard

On Fri, 8 Dec 2006 23:06:35 -0500, "Howard" wrote in :

For sealing the gap to make the control surfaces work more efficiently, just one side will do.

If you're interested in the extra grip afforded by the tape (may be helpful in backing up the hinges) or for aesthetics, you can do both sides.

I usually use monokote and do both sides. I like the looks of it.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

I use transparent profilm on just one side. It is completely invisible and works great. I have heard that you eventually get dirt stuck to the exposed glue in the middle of the hinge if you don't do both sides, it's never been a problem for me - maybe if my flying was better... :-)

Hth,

Reply to
Boo

Howard, I came acros this formula on the web to calculate speed. Of course it's theoretical because of drag and more than likely the rpm is higher during flight because of unloading.

rpm X prop pitch X .00094 = mph

16.5k x 6 = 93mph Have you tried an APC 9X7 or 9X8? you may decrease rpm but gain speed because of pitch. 15.5k x 8 = 116mph

rcs

Reply to
3for3

Nothing like a good Q-500 sport machine to beat up the sky and wow the regular crowd. Big Fun.

I don't think the tape will help your speed, however you may be surprised at the quicker control response, especially ailerons. Some time ago I was talking with a flier and he was complaining about his "slow" servos. We taped the ailerons and he was amazed at how "fast" his servos became. (;-))<

Now as one poster mentioned "Higher Pitch" is the answer. Don't expect any increase in vertical performance but the straight across the facility will improve. Try an 8.5 X 7 to 7.5. Even an 8-7 may do much better, however there becomes an area where the returns start to diminish. Just remember that depending on the airplane there is a happy medium somewhere. If you increase pitch, then there must be an adjustment to length of the prop. APC will turn the highest RPM. Look for the Pylon Racing series. If you have access to any of the old Rev-Up wood narrow blade PYLON props, the

8&3/4 - 7 with some fine sandpaper tuning, is a place to start.

Good luck.

Reply to
cainhd

R/C Universe and some of the other R/C forums have extensive discussions about Q-500's and specifically the Viper. You will see the most significant increases in speed by playing with the propellor sizes. I would think an APC

8.75 X 8 pylon would be a good starting point.

Control surface gap sealing is good practice with any model. With a racer which has the control system properly installed, it is unlikely that you will notice much difference in the top end. But....you will find that you can get the same control reaction with about 20% less input. A 20% reduction in control throw results in much less drag in turns, which is the part of a flight where the airplane slows down the most.

Reply to
Tom Minger

I started flying a Viper this past spring. Running a Jett .40 with the red carb and an APC 8.75 X 9W pylon prop. Getting 18,800 on the ground and have been radared in a shallow dive at 174 MPH. It's so darn fast I have to throttle back after about 2 laps to let my brain catch up. I don't know how the pylon guys run these things with just an engine cut-off for landing (full speed only). If you want to go fast get the rpm's and prop pitch up. High nitro doesn't seem to help my setup at all, just makes more heat. My ailerons are not sealed but they are nearly gapless. You don't need very much deflection at high speeds, about 1/8" is good. Dual rates are very helpful because you will need about 3/8" at landing speed. A Tetra or Jett bubbleless bladder tank will help to prevent flameouts in highspeed turns and let you get that last bit of needle in for a little more speed. Keep the weight down. I use HS-81MG's for the v-tail and throttle, you could probably use nylon geared 81's for the tail but they won't hold up on the throttle. HS-225MG for aileron, a 650mah 5cell AAA NiMH battery pack and light weight receiver. Saves almost 6 ounces over standard gear and adds a noticable speed increase. Good luck with it. Fred

Reply to
Frederick Witt