Racing Uproars and Dazzlers

A few of us have decided to race Uproars and Dazzlers around pylons. Everyone must use a Super Tiger 45 and a 10X6 MA prop. I'm wondering what is the best way to setup a racer? Throws, balance, rates, expo ect. I've been surfing for info but feel free to lend me your experience, knowledge or speculation( I can weed out the BS) mk ps: some of these guys are getting 16K rpm out of these ST45s with a 10X6 MA, I was amazed.

Reply to
MJKolodziej

About ten years ago there was a discussion on this group about pylon racing with "slow" airplanes, in other words not designed for racing. I thought it would be a great idea to use a standard engine that wasn't really fast, such as an OS 20 FP, on a plane with minimum weight and wing area requirements. Then you could have one race for standard kits and another for aircraft design to get the most speed out of a given set of parameters. Of course the whole idea was to keep the speed as well as the cost moderate. I like your racing parameters. Sounds like a lot of fun. Have you considered a super slow class, like an ARF trainer powered by a 40 LA? A few guys in Kansas City started pylon racing a while back using little electric trainers. You could run faster than these planes were flying. They had another race using Ultra Sticks and Thunder Tiger 46 engines, which still wasn't super fast but at least they looked like they were racing.

Regarding your question, given a reasonable CG range, the more forward the CG is the more drag it will create because of the elevator trim. As you move the CG aft you will decrease drag, but you will likely encounter a point of diminishing returns. There isn't much to say about control throws. You need enough to make the plane turn quickly, and your piloting skill will adjust if you have too much throw.

Reply to
Robert Reynolds

Another trick is to try and get your decalage and thrust lines set so that you don't have to put any elevator trim in to make the model fly straight and level hands-off. Any trim you have to put in adds drag.

CR

Reply to
Charles & Peggy Robinson

Our club is using an ARF called the Sky Raider 40 by World Models.. A low wing with a fat fuselage. The original plan was to use only LA 40s with a 10X6 prop which was later changed to include other engines and prop sizes. This left me cold on the whole idea as I think that everyone should be using the same engine type, with no mods allowed. The same prop such as a 9X6 or 9X7. The same airplane with a minimum weight of 3

1/2 pounds or so. Everyone should have to use fuel from the same jug

The Uproar isn't designed for speed with its huge ailerons. I used to fly mine with a plain bearing Fox and a 12X4 prop with a lot of control throw.

Some years back an area club used to run races using K&B 40s, Riley Wootens "Scat Cat", 9X7 props and 15% fuel that was furnished by the club. It lasted until the new safety rules went into effect.

Reply to
Anyolmouse

That would depend on whether their racing rules allow airplane modifications.

Reply to
Robert Reynolds

We here in North Central Florida have been racing a "Club 40" series of races for almost three years now using the World Aircraft Sky Raider II/OS

40 LA combo. Combo only co$t $109. Both must remain stock, 15% fuel provided. Now that the 40LA has been discontinued, we are still considering other engines (OS 46LA or TT .42). If you are interested, I'll send you a set of our rules. Reply directly to me with your real E-mail address. We have a circuit of five clubs so the races (and work loads) rotate -- one/month for 8 months a year. Usually between 24 and 37 racers show up for great fun.

Cheers -- \_________Lyman Slack________/ \_______Flying Gators R/C___/ \_____AMA 6430 LM____ / \___Gainesville FL_____/ Visit my Web Site at

Lyman Slack

Can you quote any racing rules that say you can't set the decalage any way you want?

CR

Reply to
Charles & Peggy Robinson

Not in our class. mk

Reply to
MJKolodziej

It depends on what rules the club in question is using. You can make up whatever rules you want to.

Reply to
Robert Reynolds