thunder tiger .61

I'm thinking about a Thunder Tiger Pro .61. Is it as good as all of the
raves for the .46?
What prop size would be best. I like APC best. It will be going on a own
design, kinda pattern, kinda sport, kinda heavy. I'm thinking no more
pitch than 6, as I'm a bit rusty, skills wise.
Reply to
Morgans
A very nice engine, I use a Master Airscrew 12 X 6 (as it looks more realistic when stationary than an APC) on large RCM Trainer 60 and for a fast sports model, an APC 11 X 7 which could be said to be a little quieter. 1/5 scale Flybaby with floats, until it reached retirement condition, looked and worked best with a wood 13 X 5. The finer pitch allows better slow speed control in cross winds and slows better for scale touch and go. regards Alan T. Alan's Hobby, Model & RC Web Links

A.T.
I'm thinking about a Thunder Tiger Pro .61. Is it as good as all of the raves for the .46?
What prop size would be best. I like APC best. It will be going on a own design, kinda pattern, kinda sport, kinda heavy. I'm thinking no more pitch than 6, as I'm a bit rusty, skills wise.
Reply to
Carrell
I like the 12x6, but most of the others were letting the engine spin up without doing much. That shortens the life a bit.
If an 11x7 is causing you to stretch out your landings, I suspect that your idle speed is a bit high. Maybe carb settings should be checked. If you still can't idle low enough with the carb readjusted, it might be time to experiment some with glow plugs. An 11x7 prop should not be causing a problem. I have flown 11x8 props without a problem.
Ed Cregger
Reply to
Ed Cregger
IMHO, the Pro .61 is pretty porky for it's displacement. Also, mine tends to have rich midrange that can't quite be tuned out. Not exactly a powerhouse either. Clarance Lee suggested an idle bar plug for this engine to help with the midrange burbles. What it does do is start easily and never deadsticks.
Rein
Reply to
Rein
An OS type 'F' plug gets rid of the fat midrange just fine. My TT61 has never had the power that my old OS 61 still has after 30+ gallons of fuel. And yes, chose your favorite 12X6 prop.
remove my-wife to reply :-)
Reply to
Icrashrc
Funny it weigh's almost exactly the same as the OS FX .61. People say this after just reading manufactures specs, well the TT spec is weight with included muffler, OS is weight without muffler. That is about a three of four ounce differance.
Reply to
Sport_Pilot