Walt Musciano's viewpoint

Towards the end of Walt Musciano's biography found in

I find the interesting observation:

In closing, I must say that I?m disappointed in the > direction taken by the majority of the U.S. model industry. > The huge size, expense and work area required for > aeromodeling prohibits the youngsters from participating in > the hobby. Average city youngsters have no chance of > entering this fine hobby, nor has any youngster much of an > opportunity to learn model building skills when so many > Almost Ready to Fly and Ready to Fly models have entered > the market. These have become toys for the wealthy, > up-scale, middle-aged ?sportsman.? We must not let model > plane building become a lost art! > > Of course, television has converted our youth into > spectators, instead of stimulating their creative ability. > Where are the simple kitchen table kits that teach the > younger set how to build as well as fly? Also absent are > local neighborhood and town or city contests sponsored by > municipalities or larger contests sponsored by movie > studios or even U.S. government agencies, such as the Navy > and Air Force; also model magazines, hobby trade > associations, aircraft companies, airlines and so forth. > > Witness the government of Finland, which sponsors model > plane clubs with paid instructors to teach model building. > Very few countries have as high a percentage of its > population with high technical skills as in Finland, which > supplies the world, including industrialized countries, > with splendid diesel generators, ship propulsion diesel > engines, cruise ships, ultra-high speed ships, trains and > so forth. These skills can be attributed to a young > population that had been exposed to model plane building! > > When I return to my model planes, they will be kitchen > table models that will be within the ability and the > pocketbook of the average model builder. That is how it > must be. > > Keep ?em flying!

During my high school in the late '60's, early '70s, I find it interesting that much of the public views back then of flying of models were that of a childish activity. You wonder why there are problems with mechanics who can't fix cars, engineers who can't design, managers who can't manage technical people. Perhaps it is those modeling skills that helped people to develop their skills in other areas and hone their creativity to make them better adept to technical work.

- HPT

Reply to
High Plains Thumper

ARF , RTF, BIY...........I think its up to the hobbyist based on his/her time.

Mike

Reply to
Mike R

build as well as fly?

They're still available except instead of costing 69 cents like Comet used to sell for, or $1.00 for a Monogram Speedee-Bilt kit, they sell for $25.00.

Reply to
Charlie Funk

"Charlie Funk" wrote in news:cu90vh$ego$ snipped-for-privacy@news.valueweb.com:

I've seen those Estes Sterling remakes, before they discontinued the series. Some are still available as Brodaks.

I think it is because of a shift in societal attitudes, otherwise if people were buying kits would still be available in places like Walgreens, Wal-mart and Toys-R-Us.

Comet kits used to be available in the 5 & dime type places, I used to buy them for $0.45 to under $2 back in 1965 at a variety store accross the street from where I lived in Biloxi, Mississippi. The cheaper ones were easy to build, taught me a lot about framing and covering.

- HPT

Reply to
High Plains Thumper

The issue IMHO is not the money, but the fact we now have a younger generation that feeds on instant gratification. Back in the late 80's when I worked in a hobby shop I saw it then. Most of our stick building customers were the older folks. The kids wanted R/C cars that could easily be slaped together, and most did not want to even waste the evening or two to put together a simple Tamya Grass Hopper or Hornet. It was bad back then it is even worse now with the video games. As for plastic models, Diecast has replaced a lot of the plastic kits and the detail on them keeps getting better all the time. On top of this a lot of parents are too busy to sit down and build a model with their kids and use TV and video games as the ultimate babysitter. The horrible fact of life is that stick kits and plastic kits in department stores are going the way of the dinosaur as the shelves are filled with Diecast models and foam prebuilt toy r/c airplanes that fly right out of the box. As an old dinosaur that still believes in building what you fly, I also feel the great loss as I can recall the days of my youth when one or more isles at Woolsworth were filled with models. The magic of making an Auroa Flying Sub, my first plastic model, bought for me by my Uncle Dale and the Guillows kit, the nobel British Spitfire that made two whole flights befor flying into the front yard maple tree. I took my grandson, ok dragged him with me, to a hobby shop to see if I could get him into a hobby. All I got was why waste the time Gramps? Here is a diecast of that B-17 and here is a ready to fly airplane. Besides I was draging him away from his latest video game and new DVD. Times change and the money flows to the new generations interests. I am just happy that we still a have a few kit companies left and hobby shops to carry them. I am just another 20th Century hobbist lost in the 21st Century.

Respectfully

The old geezer Bob Ruth

High Plains Thumper wrote:

Reply to
B Ruth

"B Ruth" wrote in news:1107836516.7f125fa6c6acfcb41ea21bf922548638@teranews:

Bob, I neve paid much attention to that bit about instant gratification, but now you mention it, it seems to permeate society. In fact, many of the models shown in the magazines and in the model airplane catalogs are RTF's, ARF's, or ARC's. I don't run these down as I know that these help to fill the gap for busy people, but I'm seeing less and less kits being offered.

I'm also seeing that in the working environment, it seem harder to find people who want to do an excellent job instead of just getting by.

I really do miss the kits that were available back in the '60s and '70s. Everything I like to build is now a collectable on E-Bay. Given the cost of inflation though and comparing current price of kits, I bought some rudder only kits of the era for about what it would cost me now, so I didn't mind spending a little extra. That includes a Lou Andrews S-Ray, DMECO Livewire R/C Kitten and a Sterling Free Flight Hornet.

However I have been able also to purchase plans for kits that I wanted to build. It will take longer to put together a "kit" with these, but at least I have the opportunity to make something I wanted to do.

Latest plan I picked probably hasn't been kitted in a long time (came out in 1940) and probably not in my life time, but it is the Scientific Varsity, a B-size 50" span shoulder wing with razorback style cockpit behind the wing.

I'm not into old-timers, but that plane has sex appeal. May be I'm getting old too.

- HPT

Reply to
High Plains Thumper

Maybe it's an opportunity for us builders -- Kid comes to you with a crashed ARF. "Hey, mister. Can you fix it for me?" :-) Happened to me last year. Newbie bashed the wing of his Avistar and didn't have the time or skill to fix it.

"When you crash your Stick 40 (notice we said when, not if), don't worry. You built it, you can fix it!" -- from the Balsa USA Stick 40 building instructions.

Morris

Reply to
Morris Lee

Morris Lee wrote:

We have an older generation that feeds on instant gratification, too. Parents are often both at work, and it seems we work longer hours than we used to just to get all the stuff we want. Costs have risen, but so have our expectations. We put the kids in daycare where the TV and computer look after the kids, and when we bring them home we feed them more of the same to keep them quiet. We're too tired to play with them, or maybe we want to watch the boob tube too. My family didn't even have a TV until I was 12, and then it was only two channels, black and white. My dad had cars and trucks that needed more maintenance than they do now, and since he did his own repairs I learned a lot just by getting in his way. He was also smart enough to leave his tools within my reach, along with nails and screws and wood and stuff like that, and an old chainsaw (no chain) that taught me about engines and especially about spark voltage. When my son was born I did the same thing: limit the TV and video stuff, show him how stuff went together, and give him tools and materials. Mom was home so he was able to do this all day. He's 18 now, and has been scratch-building RC airplanes since he was 12. He's owned two vehicles and is learning how to keep them running. He's built a gas-powered go-kart (full-scale). He's done welding. He'll have some rare skills, I think. He's thinking about following me into the aviation industry. Neither he nor I regret that's he's been "deprived" of the usual entertainment.

Dan

Reply to
Dan_Thomas_nospam