What's happened to this NG?

Hi, I just wondered what happened to this NG? Used to be a lot of commenting, comradery, good jesting about two years ago. Lots of talking of flying, what's good now, how it used to be, etc. Now it seems kind of dead. People burnt out from the elections?

- HPT

Reply to
High Plains Thumper

All moved to rcgroups and rcuniverse.

Much higher signal to noise ratio.

Usenet is only useful for saying what you can't say on a moderated web site.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Many things.

If you want to read the group, see:

You can read as much of the last two years as you'd like.

Your guess is as good as anybody's.

I think we've had some flamewars. Lots of good people have decamped for page-based forums, which are flourishing. Nobody reads this group any more or cares about its existence. 10 seconds after you read this message, the robot that sent it will self-destruct. Good luck on your mission!

Marty

9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

POP! Hzzzzzzzzzzz! ssssssssss ...

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

I don't know bout the signal to noise stuff and such,but the goodness of the site is still here from time to time.Just depends on how many BS treads you want to trip over to get to the good stuff. Too many ass holes that think people want to hear about iraq,france,russia,Bush,the mint, and crap that us serious R/Cer's don't want space taken up with. I don't come in that much any more due to a few idiots and even more the idiots that keep responding and keeping the useless stuff going and going and going. Just wish it was a moderated group and I was the moderator. These jerks wouldn't be allowed to the front door.And I know who they are.

If you want a serious group just keep searching.It ain't here.

Reply to
TX_QBALL

I think most people got tired of wading through the endless bickering about AMA issues and associated name-calling, etc..

It's easier to go to R/C Universe and read about exactly what you want... that's what I did for a long time. Although the web forums are fantastic, they do seem to lack the "life" of a newsgroup. (which is a good thing, sometimes)

Good flying, Bob Scott

Reply to
Robert Scott

Is teh diference betwen an upmarket coffee shop and a downtown bar....

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

"Robert Scott" SNIP

Yep, that's always been my major beef.

And that's the other problem...too much US specific crap. Frankly it's annoying. Bad enough that we are always losing flying sites and cities support for flying. I'm still pissed that Springfield, MO closed the city flying sites to build a damn baseball complex when LL is dying as fast if not FASTER than this fine hobby of ours. Toys NO! Anything that can kill you faster than you can say "Bob's your uncle" is not a toy nor to be taken lightly. If that's TRUE then motorcycle riding, flying full sized airplanes and High Power model rocketry are nothing but grown men playing with toys.

Reply to
Keith Schiffner

Yes, it helped me find RC Universe and RC Groups when I got back in the hobby last year.

Reply to
C G

If you want ads all over and endless navigating links, you can have RCU.

Usenet is a better forum for discussions.

m-m

Reply to
M-M

So are grown men playing with laser guided bombs.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes and no. Usenet is good, but so are moderated forums. Personally, I've learned to enjoy the discussions on RCU much more than usenet. The off topic political ravings on this and other usenet groups are interesting to only a few. I find the discussions on RCU to be much more civil, and they stay on topic much better. After being on usenet for many years, it's refreshing to see people treat others with some respect. As for the ads, I don't pay much attention to them, although some of them have proven to be useful.

Reply to
C G

My problem with RCU is that the UI is so awkward and agonizingly slow. I can breeze through a Usenet group in a fraction of the time it takes to read the same number of articles in Usenet. I find that in RCU having to use the mouse for everything and waiting for a page to load at every click takes forever.

If you've got a real browser like Firefox, you can kill the adds, avatars, and content-free graphics.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

That's my problem with RCU also. I've tried it several times only to give up in frustration. And I have a cable connection- imagine how dialup would be.

Also there are too many forums to follow. On usenet you see everything in one window and can filter for what interests you. Like you say, in a few minutes I see it all. Besides I have trouble going to a commercial site for free discussions ("upgrade from Basic"). It is not the spirit of the internet.

Nothing wrong with threads relating to AMA politics. Easy to ignore or kill. This used to be one of the most active NG's in my list- maybe it just slowed down a bit.

But probably 90% of internet users have never even heard of usenet.

m-m

Reply to
M-M

I actually like having things organized by subject.

Say what? Exactly what is the "spirit of the internet"? It might have been about free stuff 10 years or so ago, but now much of it is about making money.

Nope, nothing wrong with AMA politics, if you're in the US. It is related to flying. However, there are many more political discussions that have NOTHING to do with flying.

Reply to
C G

You don't have to read them. Just kill the thread.

Yup. To the vast majority of the people I know, there is no Internet except for the 'web.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

"Keith Schiffner" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@vnet-inc.com:

Back in the late '70s, early '80s, Oahu, HI had a public R/C site near the landfill on the east side of the Pali. I used to fly regularly at that site. Lately, I heard they converted the land to a golf course.

Well, in a way it is, but everyone needs to play, don't they? Back to my toys.

- HPT

Reply to
High Plains Thumper

complex >>when LL is dying as fast if not FASTER >>than this fine hobby of ours.

To all that P&M about the subjects of AMA Politics being presented either here or elsewhere, don't want to vote in AMA elections, "just want to fly, mama!" and remain the children that you used to be, think about this: even though his reference was to BIGGER things, the words of Samuel Johnson still ring true: "Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance."

In other words if you want better reception from local governments and more honest performance from AMA reference the flying facility issue, then get on board to select AMA Officers with such objectives and don't sit on your butts when local issues come forth. DO SOMETHING and then DO IT AGAIN, and again. When nothing gets done, then thank that face that looks back at you when you shave. The Ball is in YOUR court.

HC

Reply to
CainHD

Very soon AOHell users will have never heard of usenet. How proprietory does AOHell need to be? Wonder if they will start charging users to use Google next?

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

Funny thing.... after reading some of the stuff on here, my wife changed the screen icon for this ng to a beanie with a propeller. I think that pretty well sums it up.

Phil AMA609

Robert Scott wrote:

fantastic,

Reply to