What NOT to do at a keg party

I live about 5 miles as the crow flys and I heard the bang last night. It wasn't load where I live but I knew it was a big bang off in the distance.

Reply to
wayne mak

News update:

wayne mak wrote:

Reply to
Bruce Benysek

"This story has been moved to the archives or does not exist."

Reply to
Gene Cash

Reply to
wayne mak

The two most abundant elements in the universe.

Hydrogen.......and stupitity

Errol Groff

Reply to
Errol Groff

Story Not found This story has been moved to the archives or does not exist.

So what are you talking about? ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

Reply to
wayne mak

"wayne mak" wrote in news:c_N_g.23$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe03.lga:

the story has been moved to the archives and costs to read it....;0(

Reply to
granpaw

=============

Dosen't need to go as high as you might think. Superheated beer/steam and heat weakened aluminum. Bad combination.

When pressure is removed the superheated liquid flashes into steam.

A quick review of the history books indicate steam boiler explosion used to be a serious problem, blowing even large boats out of the water and bringing down entire buildings full of people. Even small boilers have been know to shoot like rockets through cement walls when an end blew out.

Need to put a do not place in fire or incenerate tak on the beer kegs. No one told him not to do it ....

Unka' George (George McDuffee) .............................. Only in Britain could it be thought a defect to be "too clever by half." The probability is that too many people are too stupid by three-quarters.

John Major (b. 1943), British Conservative politician, prime minister. Quoted in: Observer (London, 7 July 1991).

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

There is a tremendious amount of energy in superheated water or beer. Thomas the tank engine ran on superheated water. They used those steam engines in power plants. They would hook them up to the steam boiler in the plant and charge up the boiler with water at 350 degrees or so. The water would boil off all day and drive the engine around the yard. If the boiler split open all that energy would be released at once. I wonder if they would consider that a WMD?

New law.... you need a federal explosives license to get a keg of beer.

John

Reply to
John

this is not the first time this has happened. i remember reading a similar incident a couple years ago, all i remember from that one was that a young guy had his arm cut OFF by the flying shrapnel. i was astounded. (and in that case i think there was a fatality too.)

(as another poster said, i wonder now if they'll sue and cause kegs to have a pressure release valve) (but who knows, maybe it might be easy to do? use some kind of heat deformable plastic instead of, presumably, some kind of metal to metal seal?) (this is at least the second time i've heard of this happening, maybe it could be a simple fix/alteration)

b.w.

Reply to
William Wixon

Reply to
wayne mak

It is at

The older kegs had that wood filling plug in the bung that would act as a relief plug, I'm surprised that the newer ones don't have some sort of a relief valve on them.

But they don't count on drunks and "Hold my beer and watch this..." moments.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Gene, RE your sig: His reply will be, "Jeez, he was fine until YOU looked at him!"...

- physics students will find that to be hysterically funny......

denny

Gene Cash wrote:

Reply to
Denny

Another factor may have been a "dust" type explosion. When the keg exploded it most likely blew massive amounts of ash and charcoal into the air. Depending how fine [and how hot] the charcoal was, this may very well have considerably augmented the blast. Massive concrete grain silos [6 inch and thicker reinforced concrete walls] have been blow apart by these types of grain dust explosions, and I know of at least one case where a multistory apartment was brought down by a dust explosion when a woman dropped a 5 pound sack of flour, with possibly 4 pounds in it of flour down a disposal chute. The sack was open and dispersed the flour, and the incinerator flame flashed back up the chute blowing the building apart. [FWIW - the flour was dumped because of weevils, thus flour weevils brought an entire apartment building down...] IIRC The building codes immediately were changed to prohibit disposal chutes from going directly into an incinerator, they had to go into a holding bin, and then the trash was transferred to the incinerator. I was a little kid at that time [Chicago late 40s] and incinerators in each building were common.

Unka' George (George McDuffee) .............................. Only in Britain could it be thought a defect to be "too clever by half." The probability is that too many people are too stupid by three-quarters.

John Major (b. 1943), British Conservative politician, prime minister. Quoted in: Observer (London, 7 July 1991).

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

Reply to
wayne mak

I'm not a physics student...don't even play one on TV...but I still thought it was funny!

Reply to
The Davenport's

That..and too many twisted bastards who hated cats and dogs....

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Reply to
Gunner

"William Wixon" wrote in news:qTV_g.3732$ snipped-for-privacy@news02.roc.ny:

A more complex one might be to go back to wooden kegs..aw just a thought.

Reply to
granpaw

Heh, heh! We had a "techy" barbeque one night, with ETs, machinists, model-makers, the lot.

We somehow contrived to fit an air chuck to the empty Coors Party Ball we had caused to be empty, and slowly inflated it through a needle valve from about 100' away. (good thing we WERE that far!)

Y'know, that damned thing took about 90psi before it failed. Umm.... they DON'T 'leak', they fail catastrophically. >again

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh