What do do with my motors

I have two 1/4 BHP induction motors, both run at 1425 RPM and have pulleys for V belts. Apart from making a grinding set-up, which I'm not
interested in, I'm a bit lost on what I could use them for. Any idea for a simple project I could embark on?

Build a scale model trebuchet & use them as missiles?
Regards, Tony

exractor fan for the workshop ...or rock polisher for the kids.. you can buy the drums and abrasive off ebay .
you could also make a deburing machine ....works the same as the rock polisher .
a suds pump ...
all the best.markj

I wonder about a mini cement mixer, or mini pile driver for driving in grounding rods. Like you say, use to drive a pump. Something else might come to mind.

On a serious note. If they were small, they would drive an auxiliary drilling spindle from the saddle of the lathe
or- and thank you- a cylindrical grinder on my Clarkson.Hmmmmmmmmm?
Or a diamond hone using a mini faceplate and paste. More Hmmmmmmmm?
Well?
Norman

Hi. These motors have been in the house over 40 years, and for nostalgic reasons I'd like to hold on to them. They are actually large for the power. The biggest is 31cm long, 17mm dia and heavy. Other is 25cm long, 16cm dia.They were outside under a plastic box for about two years. I think I'm going to have to dry the windings out.
Rich, from the additional information only now supplied, I can only assume that these are old enough to be 'clockwork' ones.
There was a QI quesion about Charles H Merz only days ago. Are you winding us up?
Regards
Norman

No, all genuine. I am sort of attached to them. :c) Let me take pictures of them and post a link. Very study Crompton Parkinson motors.

The items:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/richards_internet/TEMPORARY/MOTORS.html

The bright orange finish is kind of unusual...
Regards, Tony

It's quite common in motors of that vintage if some luddite hasn't painted them dove-grey :-)
Mark Rand RTFM
On Thu, 08 Jan 2009 23:01:15 +0000, Mark Rand

Yes...I guess it gives them a kind of retro feel ;-)
Regards, Tony

Yes, it's rust.

I've seen those types before ..they are from old forcourt petrol pumps.
all the best...markj

By the live mains cable ??
JS

...in which case, I suspect my suggestion of using them as trebuchet ammo was right on the money.
A 40 year old mains motor that you think needs its coils drying out before use is an accident waiting to happen.
Regards, Tony

One thing I have done with small motors is to thread the shaft and screw on a drill chuck. I have three of these and clamp them to the benchtop when needed. I use them for deburring holes and the like. Sometimes I put a Procunier tapping head in the drill chuck and retap holes after cross drilling etc. I suppose any type of tapping head could be used but the Procunier heads just use a couple cone clutches inside and don't self feed like a Tapmatic type would. Also, the clutch gripping force depends on how hard the tap is pushed or pulled. ERS

I find the best use for such things is to securely hold down some obscure piece of floor and hold up whatever can be piled on top of them while waiting for the anticipated urgent need or profitable sale. As a side benefit, enough of them will prevent you from having enough space or money to acquire useful things or do any productive work. ;-)
Don Young (USA)

One would be ideal to drive a mid sized van de graaff generator. You could build one in about a day.
Stuart Pearson

There is one lying idle at Daresbury, Cheshire, 5 miles from me. It is 70 metres high and generated 20 Megavolts. It was last used in 1983. see http://farm1.static.flickr.com/101/316361106_575bf1bcfb.jpg?v 65491579
--
Dave Croft
Warrington