What do do with my motors

I have two 1/4 BHP induction motors, both run at 1425 RPM and have pulleys for V belts. Apart from making a grinding set-up, which I'm not interested in, I'm a bit lost on what I could use them for. Any idea for a simple project I could embark on?

Reply to
Rich

Build a scale model trebuchet & use them as missiles?

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

exractor fan for the workshop ...or rock polisher for the kids.. you can buy the drums and abrasive off ebay .

you could also make a deburing machine ....works the same as the rock polisher .

a suds pump ...

all the best.markj

Reply to
mark

I wonder about a mini cement mixer, or mini pile driver for driving in grounding rods. Like you say, use to drive a pump. Something else might come to mind.

Reply to
Rich

On a serious note. If they were small, they would drive an auxiliary drilling spindle from the saddle of the lathe

or- and thank you- a cylindrical grinder on my Clarkson.Hmmmmmmmmm?

Or a diamond hone using a mini faceplate and paste. More Hmmmmmmmm?

Well?

Norman

Reply to
ravensworth2674

I find the best use for such things is to securely hold down some obscure piece of floor and hold up whatever can be piled on top of them while waiting for the anticipated urgent need or profitable sale. As a side benefit, enough of them will prevent you from having enough space or money to acquire useful things or do any productive work. ;-)

Don Young (USA)

Reply to
Don Young

Hi. These motors have been in the house over 40 years, and for nostalgic reasons I'd like to hold on to them. They are actually large for the power. The biggest is 31cm long, 17mm dia and heavy. Other is 25cm long,

16cm dia.They were outside under a plastic box for about two years. I think I'm going to have to dry the windings out.
Reply to
Rich

Rich, from the additional information only now supplied, I can only assume that these are old enough to be 'clockwork' ones.

There was a QI quesion about Charles H Merz only days ago. Are you winding us up?

Regards

Norman

Reply to
ravensworth2674

...in which case, I suspect my suggestion of using them as trebuchet ammo was right on the money.

A 40 year old mains motor that you think needs its coils drying out before use is an accident waiting to happen.

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

No, all genuine. I am sort of attached to them. :c) Let me take pictures of them and post a link. Very study Crompton Parkinson motors.

Reply to
Rich

The items:

Rich

One would be ideal to drive a mid sized van de graaff generator. You could build one in about a day.

Stuart Pearson

Reply to
Stuart Pearson

V belts. Apart from making a grinding set-up, which

for a simple project I could embark on?

build one in about a day.

There is one lying idle at Daresbury, Cheshire, 5 miles from me. It is 70 metres high and generated 20 Megavolts. It was last used in 1983. see

Dave Croft

By the live mains cable ??

JS

Reply to
John S

The bright orange finish is kind of unusual...

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

It's quite common in motors of that vintage if some luddite hasn't painted them dove-grey :-)

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Yes...I guess it gives them a kind of retro feel ;-)

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Yes, it's rust.

Reply to
Rich

I've seen those types before ..they are from old forcourt petrol pumps.

all the best...markj

Reply to
mark

One thing I have done with small motors is to thread the shaft and screw on a drill chuck. I have three of these and clamp them to the benchtop when needed. I use them for deburring holes and the like. Sometimes I put a Procunier tapping head in the drill chuck and retap holes after cross drilling etc. I suppose any type of tapping head could be used but the Procunier heads just use a couple cone clutches inside and don't self feed like a Tapmatic type would. Also, the clutch gripping force depends on how hard the tap is pushed or pulled. ERS

Reply to
etpm