Shipping lathe cross county

Purchased a Monarch 10EE from Parsippany, NJ. Good price. Searched for shipper, best shipping cost I found is still an exorbitant $1500. Cost more than the lathe. Anyone have any ideas on how I can better this cost of shipping to southern CA, Orange County area? Any suggestion short of me driving to NJ to save on shipping would be great!

Reply to
trg-s338

Call Jim Williams at Freightquote, 888-595-5664x1665. Tell him that Igor from Algebra Inc sent you his way. He was always able to amaze me with amazingly low shipping quotes. Example, 500 lbs shipped from IL to NJ cost about $160 (if my memory serves me right).

I must say though, that $1,500 for shipping a Monarch 10EE strikes me as a sensible price, which is not to say that you can do better. Does it include pickup and delivery? Is there a lift gate involved?

Ignoramus22711

A Monarch for less than $1500?? wow... How'd you find this lathe?

Here's an idea: I can pick it up for you--I'm right over the GWB. I'll hold the lathe for you, and use it occasionally just to keep it from rusting, for a few years, until shipping prices go down. At no charge!

FYI, it cost me $1500+ to move a 3016L Fadal 25 miles, from Brooklyn to Yonkers, NY.

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

Reply to
trg-s338

Reply to
trg-s338

Reply to
woodworker88

That's a scary thought.

Ignoramus22711

Dat's how this cocksucker dropped my new/used C-Colchester lathe, right in my driveway. Can you say "Fetal Position for two days", boyzngerlz?

I don't know about Monarch's (except they are g-d heavy), but C-C (and I would imagine most lathes on relatively light-weight metal stands) are

*really* top-heavy, and therefore unstable--surprisingly so. It doesn't seem that way, initially, cuz they are so g-d heavy to begin with, but when you start slingin'em around, it doesn't take much to knock them right over.
Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

I bet if you do the calculations on diy, you won't save a thing. 5500 miles round trip. 96 hrs of driving, yada.

I bid on a bandsaw once in texas. I was worried sick that I would win it after I figured out what it was going to cost to get it to michigan.

Wes S

Reply to
clutch

It shouldn't be. It's really quite simple and one of the more safe methods.

dennis in nca

Reply to
rigger

I just googled "cheap freight quotes" and found

and
(which look potentially interesting) and a host of others. If you've already gone down this path please ignore this post.

If nothing else works post again and I'll try something else. When do you need to ship?

dennis in nca

Reply to
rigger

Contact snipped-for-privacy@aol.com Immediately!

He may be able to help.

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Reply to
Gunner

You DO know how much a 10EE weighs..right?

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Reply to
Gunner

i think id use a stout gantry crane to unload the trailer.

Reply to
erik litchy

I'd say $1500 to move 1 1/2 top heavy tons 2,500 miles is probably not that bad. More so if that means that you have a 10EE for less than $3,000. Assuming that its a working machine and not a 'project'.

Well done that man :-)

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand