CA

Just a thought as I am new to building models. What is the cure when you glue your fingers together with superglue? Came awful close a couple of times.

Reply to
Jerry Lyman

Purchase a material called "debonder" I have checked at Wal-Mart and they do not carry it. Try towers..Fred123

Reply to
Fred123

acetone or nail polish remover (basically same thing)

Reply to
David Poles

Acetone works for me.

I'm not sure what the solvent is in nail polish remover, but I've heard that it works, too.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

Keep a sealed container of acetone handy. When you glue your fingers together, take the cover off and put your fingers in the acetone. In a few seconds your fingers will be "unglued".

Acetone is the main ingredient in debonder and many nail polish removers.

That being said, acetone is not good for you. Keep your exposure to a minimum.

Reply to
Ted Campanelli

Reply to
AirMan

It has to be acetome, that and nitromethane are the only reliable debonders. However, its easy enough to rip the skin off one finger to separate it from the other. Only hurts a LITTLE bit.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I assume you mean acetoNe. :) True, it doesn't hurt much, but then you bleed all over your wood and plans. Messy. Have that sealing iron hot and ready to cauterize the raw flesh!

Dr1

Reply to
Dr1

Nah. CA does that perfectly. Glue a bit of tissue over the end.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Reply to
Redhart

Any builder that can't use a #10 X-Acto to separate bonded skin without leaving a blood trail is a novice. :o)

Reply to
Charlie Funk

Is that a better blade for debonding skin. I always use a #11. :-)

Reply to
Red Scholefield

How about an axe? If your 'working-hand' is secured by CA, a good friend for swinging the axe comes in handy :-)

JS

Reply to
JS

Guys, I keep reading about sticking fingers into acetone, or pouring it on fingers, etc. You should know that acetone is a strong liver poison which is reaily absorbed through the skin. I would urge you to wear latex gloves when working with CA or with epoxy. There are a number of troublesome chemicals we use inour hobby,and we should respect them, IMHO Thanks for "listening". TNgunner

Reply to
chuenkan

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote in news:- snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I thought it interesting that some of the long time C/L flyers are coming down with cancer in their old age. Seems they were using high nitro levels and handling that stuff has caught up, or so I heard.

- HPT

Reply to
High Plains Thumper

Gee, old people coming down with cancer...I know plenty of old people that came down with cancer and they never handled nitro.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Then you read the ingredients in finger nail polish remover. Acetone... Not in pure form but there nonetheless.

John VB

Reply to
jjvb

I find all the alarmist attitudes about the chemicals we use to be rather amusing. Cluck-Cluck the Sky is Falling!!!

Reply to
jim

I agree that it is good to limit your exposure to the bad stuff, but you CAN go overboard. Acetone has been in nail polish removers for 50 years that I know of. Nitro has been used in the printing world for a long time as well. Some really bad stuff has been removed from general use such as toluene and a lot more people know the dangers of MEK.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

"Paul McIntosh" wrote in news:421056ab$0$49567$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader04.plus.net:

Mebbe so, but it helps keep the lawyers employed.

Reminds me, then I played with lead soldiers as a kid and used compressed air to blow out brake linings and drums back in the late 60's through '70s. Those were hobby interests though and a little different than someone who does it day in and day out.

My father used to make lead soldiers with the lead molds (I still have the molds), sold at the elementary school PTA bazaar in little bags of 5 or 6 inside for $0.10 or $0.15 back in the early '60s.

In sort of an ignorant twisted way, I guess you could say playing with HAZMAT was fun. I don't know if such would be a contributor to cancer.

Impression I get is that some get cancer because of poor health or habbits or both. Hence why I keep working out.

- HPT

Reply to
High Plains Thumper