Best way to do a Lomcevak-

Okay- What are your Favorite ways to do a Lomcevak? My never-fail method is to do the first half of a loop, a left snap at the top, then halfway thru the snap, I reverse elevator from full up to full down, hold it while it does the lomcevak, then recover with full right rudder and a little down elevator. It will usually recover inverted, and it's best to just fly out of it inverted. I've yet to find the plane I couldn't get to lomcevak with this method. What other ways are there? Remember, I'm on your side- Paul

Reply to
Paul Ryan

ROFLOL!

I guess I am into punishment. I try to get the CG back far enough to make things interesting. I pull up at WOT and do a hard snap and just about the time it is about to stall (usually after about 3 turns), I reverse the elevator abruptly. Sometimes to get a little extra wiggle, I even reverse the ailerons or rudder as the tail comes over the top.

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

In the air? sorry couldn't resist it

Chris

Reply to
Chris Dugan

I'll have you know that I've done a number of what I like to call "ground Lomcevaks" where the fuselage pivots around the engine - I'll admit that I don't get many rotations, and my recovery involves walking out into the field to collect the pieces, but it certainly seems to evoke an awed hish from my flying budies when I do one.

Reply to
Russ

Well...I'll be first to admit that I haven't the nerve. BUT if I were I'd ask these guys HOW TO DO IT.

Then I'd ask these gents.

here is THEIR description of one of the 200+ ways to do a Lomcevak that succeeds...

In this particular version of the Lomcevak (or tumble), the aircraft starts at a minimum of 160 kts in level flight. The aircraft is pulled to the

45 degree up-line where a left roll is immediately initiated (when learning this maneuver, it is helpful to go to 45-up knife-edge flight (left wing low) with heavy right rudder to hold the nose momentarily on the line). Once the roll is initiated (or knife-edge flight established), the aircraft is aggressively yawed off axis with left rudder and then, when the relative airflow is approximately 45 degrees off the nose of the aircraft, the longitudinal stick is move sharply forward with slight left aileron input. These control inputs are maintained throughout the maneuver. When learning the Lomcevak, the initial tendency is to either end up in a outside snap rolling maneuver (not enough initial rudder prior to the push) or a heavy negative-G bunt hang-up. As proficiency builds, the longitudinal stick can be cycled fore and aft slightly to give a bit more rotational energy to the maneuver. Typically the aircraft will tumble through three cartwheel-like rotations and recover on a down-line close to the 45-degree nose low position. Recoveries from this point vary from a Split-S in the opposite direction to entry or a rolling roll-out on the 45-degree down line. All in all, this is a SPECTACULAR maneuver! Believe it or not, this is a precision maneuver and, as an air show performer, the professional air show pilot must have total control and recoverability throughout the maneuver.

As for me...I'll just watch you craz^H^H^H Brave people do it.

Reply to
Keith Schiffner

This way works well for r/c models too. You can reduce the number of rudder inputs by pulling up past 45 degrees; rolling to knife-edge (1/4 roll); waiting a second for the nose to start dropping while in the knife-edge position; then inputting full down elevator and full rudder with aileron; all done at full throttle. If the initial 1/4 roll was to the right; input down elevator, right rudder and right aileron. If the initial 1/4 roll was to the left; input down elevator, left rudder and left aileron. Experiment up high. After the tumbling, some planes go into a full-throttle, slow-rotation, flat spin that takes a loooong time to stop.

Reply to
gyrocptr

"gyrocptr" SNIP

Yep and while there is a basic way to do one. There are almost as many ways to execute the maneuver as there are pilots or so I've been led to believe. I seem to recall reading somewhere that the first one was executed by a slightly inebriated pilot(though I suspect it's just airport rumor)

Reply to
Keith Schiffner