water in glow fuel

Did anyone read Joe Wagner's article in the January '04 'Model Aviation' regarding water in glow fuel?

The "test" was done using a control line (non-throttled) engine.

Any opinions?

Mike

Reply to
Mike

The "test" was done using a control line (non-throttled) engine.

Any opinions?

Mike ========================================

Maybe it was the engine he was willing to sacrifice if the test destroyed it. I do not believe the article was an endorsement or recommendation to water down the fuel.

I think the "point" to the article is: Don't be paranoid about leaving a container of fuel open for a few minutes.

We've read or heard warning after warning that fuel soaks up moisture (from the air) like a sponge and we need to take drastic steps to avoid that. Over the past couple of years, I've seen quite a few posts in this NG that indicate you might as well throw a jug of fuel away if it sits open for 5 minutes. The article simply points out the moisture issue is probably not as huge as some people think. He had to do something extreme to make the point.

Carrell

Reply to
Carrell

I can tell from your post that you also have spent some time with Joe. He is another friend that does take his modeling seriously!

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

I've been using 10% water with my OS.40 with no problems

Mike wrote:

Reply to
Samuel Oliphant

Well it is simple enough to try. Just add an 1/2 oz of water to 4 oz of fuel and try it in different engines. This will give you an 11% mixture and won't waste a lot of fuel if it doesn't pan out. I'll wait until I hear some more testimonials however.

Or is Ozark Alabama (home of Joe Wagner) one of those places where the rivers catch on fire?

I'm still trying to get over breaking in electric motors in a beaker of water. :-)

And you though batteries were weird!

-- Red S. Red's R/C Battery Clinic

us out for "revolting" information.

Reply to
Red Scholefield

I did a similar test a couple of years ago that I put on my club's web site at

but my results were completely different. The maximum amount of water was around 3-4% so I have no idea how he managed with the 20% water. The limiting factor was that at a certain critical point (which is also temperature dependant) the oil is driven out of solution and settles to the bottom of the tank. The first rough tests were done at the field and I flew the plane, none of this wimpy test stand stuff :)

Brian Hampt> Did anyone read Joe Wagner's article in the January '04 'Model Aviation'

Reply to
Brian

WTH are yall talking about? some guy putting water in his fuel on purpose? really? why?

Reply to
MikeF

He owns stock in a bearing company. Joe L.

Reply to
JosLvng

Yeah, but Aussies are known for being "fresh"!

Actually, I believe in that method of testing as that is where the "real" world really gets you!

As Red says, I will wait for more testimonials.

Jim Branaum AMA 1428

Six_O'clock_High Target snipped-for-privacy@Guns.com

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

Personally, I'll wait until THE engine guru, Clarence F. Lee, has some comments on water in fuel.

Cheers -- \__________Lyman Slack_________/ \______AMA6430 IMAA1564___/ \____Flying Gators R/C______/ \__Gainesville FL _________/ Visit my Web Site at:

"Six_O'Clock_High" > As Red says, I will wait for more testimonials.

Reply to
Lyman Slack

Red,

Brian Felice and I had a discussion about the water content of fuel a while ago, where I thought, that water would reduce knock tendency in four strokes in high humidity weather. Since he flies YS engines that sometimes throw a prop in hot weather, he gave it a try. The engine behaved much better, with up to 10% water in the fuel, freshly mixed. The knock tendency was indeed gone.This is consistent with my own experience when I used ethanol 80% pure from a pharmacist, because I could at one time not get hold of pure methanol. The McCoy engine in my CL plane did not mind the 20% water at all, and ran just fine, as long as I mixed small quantities. If left to stand for a week or two, the engine would fail to start well on this fuel.

Reply to
Pé Reivers

Reply to
Paul Ryan