What do you use for Balance

First choice: Bigger engine. Don't need no steenkin' dead weight.

Distant second choice(s): Bigger radio battery, as far forward as possible, along with anything else that ca nbe moved. Spinner weights are good for maximizing moment, but only for a couple of ounces.

AMA Safety Code sez no metal props, so when you've run out of options,

Last choice: A chunk of lead from the plumbing supply, or mix up some BB's and epoxy and pour it into a plastic cup, modeling clay mold, etc.

Abel

Reply to
Abel Pranger

I have a plane that needs balancing. It will probably take about 12 ounces or more. Wing MGF Hellcat. What would be good that could be screwed .. glued etc to the front of the firewall to get the needed weight?

Reply to
SKYLANE42

I use the stick-on lead from my LHS. Comes in sticks divided into 1/4 oz sections. Tower Hobbies and pretty much any online hobby dealer will have em also.

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

A bigger motor? Whatever you put up there may as well have some purpose other than dead weight... :-)

Jack

Reply to
Jack Goff

How about a heavier engine or move the batteries and servos forward as far as possible ?

Reply to
ray fisher

Weights from the LHS or on line.......try shifting gear around. Avoid spinner weights.

Mike

Reply to
Mike R

Lead shot mixed with epoxy. Just pour it into wherever you need the weight. Use the smallest shot you can find.

Regards

Tom Watson Sydney Australia

Reply to
Tom Watson

Go to a large tire shop & see about getting a supply of old tire weights.... It's easy to cast weights that will fit on the firewall...

Screwing the weights to motor mount legs helps get the weight forward to reduce the amount needed....

NEVER attach weight to the cowl...

Bill

Reply to
Bill Fulmer

Reply to
strathboy89

The already suggested lead shot and epoxy mix in a plastic bag or suitable container works well depending on the space. Tight space is good as the shot will mold to fit and often becomes self restrained.

OTOH I like to visit the fishing store and find the flat lead weights in almost any size you could want. These drill and bolt on to engine mounts or firewall very nicely. Another good "sinker" is the egg shell sinker, oval and round with a hole through it and in almost any size. Run a copper wire (heavy like from old big electrical wiring) through the hole/s and twist ends into a loop and screw/bolt them onto the fartherest forward load bearing member you have. H_ll of a lot cheaper than the h/s stick-on stuff which departs the machine very soon after the machine departs, unless bolted down. Good Luck.

HC

Reply to
CainHD

I actually have a roll of lead flashing left over from house construction.

Cut into square bits with a hole drilled through the middle..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

more weight in the front or try to lose weight in the back .

Reply to
dingo

I get old lead wts from the tire shop and melt 'em down and then cast them. I make a cast from a floor of plywood with 1/4 or 3/8" sq. hardwood sides glued to it. I use an old garden shovel to melt them in and a propane torch as a heat source. I do it outside, wear safety glasses and good gloves. With a bit of imagination I can make 'em to fit just about anywhere in the front of the plane. Gord Schindler MAAC6694

Reply to
Gord Schindler

Moulds for casting lead can be made from thin aluminium sheet folded to the required shape - the lead won't stick to aluminium, and the mould can be used many times.

If you intend to screw through the lead, a good size steel washer is desirable to prevent the screw from wearing a hole through the lead from engine vibration - don't ask how I know...

HTH

Malcolm.

Reply to
Malcolm Fisher

One method I used for a Mini Blade slope racer was to form fit some aluminum foil into where the lead would need to go to make a mold then melt down the lead and pour into the mold. The lead fit into the nose of the Mini Blade like fingers in a glove. I secured it with a bit of silicon sealer.

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

On 10/23/2004 3:53 PM Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these great (and sometimes not so great) words of knowledge:

DuBro sells crankshaft weights in 1 oz and 2 oz sizes. You use them in place of the washer under the prop nut. These weights fit under most spinners. I have found that a 2 oz crankshaft weight can be worth 3 - 4 oz on the firewall since it is further forward.

Another option would be a Higley Heavy Nut. They weigh about 1 oz and have an appearance similar to the prop nut/spinner on a P-47.

Reply to
Ted Campanelli

I go to Wallmart an buy fishing sinkers. They have any weight you want and cost about 12 cents per oz. I buy the egg shape size so I can pound a flat side then mount them directly to the bottom of the motor mount with long motor mount bolts. This may require beefing up the firewall for the added weight or a rough landing might remove the whole front end. I painted the weights yellow which makes them look like something important. Looks cool on a radial engine front end. Good luck Gene

Reply to
Gene

First, second and third choice: Wheel Weights.

MJC

Reply to
MJC

I agree here. If you need nose weight, the engine is a good place to put it. Also, mounting the engine farther forward will help if your plane is tail heavy. You've probably already put the battery as far forward as possible. Now, if you still need nose weight, but it as far forward as possible so you'll need less of it. A big, brass spinner nut inside the regular spinner as a good way to add nose weight "efficiently."

Reply to
kokomoNOSPAMkid

The best place to add nose weight is in the spinner, because the farther forward you put the weight, the less you need. It is VERY important, though, that any spinning weight is well balanced.

Reply to
kokomoNOSPAMkid