what does x * x mean for a prop?

Hi all,

I've never used a prop for models before, now i was looking on the site from my local RC store, and the size (i think) is indicated like this:

7 x 6 prop or 9 x 5 prop

What do these values mean? i think it has something to do with lengt/angle of the blades?

And how much thrust difference is there between a 3 bladed prop and a 2 bladed?

Many thanks, Sven

Reply to
Sven Goosen

Sven, The first number is the diameter/length and the second number is the pitch. As for 2 and 3 blade props it all depends on the pitch and diameter. Hopr this helps. Eddie Fulmer

Reply to
Efulmer

Efulmer, Thanks for the fast awnser. but are these sizes always in inches? (a standard?)

And another thing i just saw.. what are the pro's/cons of a carbon Vs a glass prop? (weight/stifness?)

Sven

Reply to
Sven Goosen

Many props are in inches on one blade and mm on the other. Carbon is stronger than glass and usually more expensive.

The X > > Sven, The first number is the diameter/length and the second number

Reply to
jeboba

The first number is the diameter the second the pitch which is the theoretical distance the prop would screw itself forward in one revolution (if the air didn't move as well) Ian

Reply to
Gerry Attric