What size engine for this wing?

I have a wing that was built in 1995, and I want to finish it into a flying c/l plane. It was never finished, but is complete and ready for fuselage and silkspan. It is for c/l, has belcrank with leadouts in place. It is 26" long, 5 3/8" deep and 3/4" high at the peak. Long and skinny. 140 sq in surface area. It seems a bit big for an 049. The belcrank is mounted into plywood, but the ribs it attaches to are balsa. I'm not sure it's strong enough for anything bigger then 1/2A. I know this isn't a lot of info, but any guesses as to what size engine to put on this? I'm guessing a .09 would be just about perfect. I'd have to beef it up to use a .15, but then it would probably be a speed demon - maybe too much engine for a wing this size. A .049/.051 would be a tad slow, more of a trainer then anything else.

How much more powerfull are the teedee engines over, say, the black widow? The black widow was my engine of choice many years ago, and had two intake ports going up the cylinder instead of the standard one, and had a reed valve in the back where the air intake and carb were. The teedee is a completely different design, how much more power does it have? I'm wondering if a teedee 049/051 with a 6x4 prop would pull this thing just fine (or use a 6x3 and let it scream?).

Reply to
Ook

That is really a 1/2a size wing. CL combat models for 1/2a are often bigger. Look to the Norvel 049 or 061 if you can find them. Brodak is importing a nice little 049 too and seldom gets mentioned. On the TD question. The TD has maybe 20% more power than a black widdow but is running at the upper edge of the performance available from a 1960s design. They tend to wear out easily if you use fuel that is short on castor oil. Bob Furr

Reply to
icerinkdad

I say an .049 would work. build light( i always used too much silk and dope). Just get that wing in the air! mk

Reply to
MK

How do you think it would work with a .09? Is there enough surface area? I'm not really after stunt performance, but just a general fly-around-the-circle to get me used to going round and round again. I've flown planes that size before with an .049 - Big Otto for example, 24x6 wing, combat, not very fast but easily did figure 8s - but they tended to be a bit slow (compared to the smaller models I built and flew with the same engine). One gust of wind at the wrong time and you could be in trouble.

I'm leaning towards an .09 on 35 foot wires. Probably a teedee or medallion. It will scream, but be controllable :D

Reply to
Zootal

No problem. I've flown 1/2A sheet models on a Medallion .09 before, IIRC a Stuntman 23 was the kit plane I did that on (is that the right name for the CG airplane I'm thinking about?). Your wing should be fine.

One thing I did for kicks years ago was to add flaps to a L'il Jumping Bean, and it was simply just for fun. It tightened up the turning radius considerably (no surprise) and was much more interesting to fly.

fly-around-the-circle

Reply to
mjd

I've never put flaps on a wing, I might do that as it would not be hard to add them. I don't really have the wing area to be doing stunts, but with 35' wires (intead of those stupid 25' strings) it might make a difference. Hmm..have to give it a bit of thought. I haven't flown for years, and I have vivid memories of many airplane crashes while I was still learning. It was so bad for a while that I'd go to work on Monday, and the guys would go, "Hey, how was the crash and burn this weekend?". Pushing the envelope with a fragile balsa airplane is not a good idea - asphalt and balsa just don't get along very well :-P

My first Big Otto (Scientific, 1978) made it 1/4 way around the circle. It started going up, and so I gave it a bit of down, and it went DOWN. Splat. The next one suffered a control malfunction. It went straight up, and then it went straight down. Splat. Next weekend - I picked up a solid balsa Scientific something or other, forget what it was called (I built a lot of Scientific models before I got the hang of designing my own). Put a 5 1/4 x

3 prop on a Black Widow. Omg it screamed! It went so fast that after about a dozen flights the fuselage seperated from the wing and took off by itself. Went up about 200 feet and came back down. Splat. The wing was still attached to the strings, and I watched incredulously as the wing gracefully floated to earth while the fuselage and engine took off by itself. Then there was this dual fuselage dual black widow plane I designed myself. It was my first attempt at dual fuselage dual engine c/l aircraft. I started the engines, got them tuned (which is real enteresting to do - it can sometimes be a challenge to get the second engine started before the first runs out of gas), refueled both tanks to make sure both tanks had about the same amount of fuel. On its maiden flight, it did a full circle on the ground before it hit my dog and broke into 3 pieces. I never did figure out why it didn't take off, I must have had the controls out of adjustment. Or maybe I was so excited I forgot which way to move the handle to get it to go up? Or maybe I picked up the handle upside down? Whatever the cause, I was feeling very stupid about that one! Dog wasn't too happy, either :P
Reply to
Ook