Which .60 size Engine Should I buy?

I am buyinbg an aeroworks Edge 540T. I know this will start a plethora of comments but I am seeking advice on a new engine. I have several 60 size engines but they are in current AC. I am trying to make up my mind between the OS .61FX, the Magnum .61a-XLS and the Super Tigre g61 ABC or the G61 Ringed. Any comments and experience with these engines would be greatly appreciated. I intend to fly the plane hard and am looking for the best vertical I can get. Prop size would be aporeciated also.

Many thanks,

Ted

Reply to
Ted

Actually if I were you I'd use a 4-stroke engine instead. I know it is more money but in my opinion it is the way to go. If a 60 size two- stroke is recommended then you should be able to mount a 90 4-stroke engine. I don't know what the manufacturer's recommendations are but if a Saito 100 is OK then that would be the engine that I'd be using. If it has to be a two stroke then I my preference would be the OS61 FX.

Reply to
ahdofu

Even further away from the OP's question, if I were going to buy a Saito four-stroke in the 1.00 class, I would opt for the 1.25a. Not much larger, but more power and flexibility.

If there is no restriction on displacement, I would go with the Tower .75. It's allegedly as strong as some nineties and it is in the package of a .61. Great warranty with folks that will probably be around for a while and reportedly excellent throttling characteristics.

From what I have read about the OS .61FX, no way would I buy one. It isn't often that you hear folks bad mouthing an OS, but everyone makes a turkey now and then.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

I own the OS61FX and I've never had any problems. I also have an OS91FX which I think has the same mount pattern as the 61FX. It even weighs the same except that it provides a lot more power. However if there is an engine in the FX line that has issues that would be the

91FX engine and not the 61FX.
Reply to
ahdofu

I'll add that to the database. Thanks.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

In the May 2003 Model Airplane News Dave Gierke tested a bunch of .60-size engines and concluded that for big prop swinging grunt, the Fox was the best. Yeah, yeah, hard to believe, but I wouldn't rule out the old dog just because it's "uncool" nowadays.

Reply to
Geoff Sanders

I had the OS 60 Fx. Easy to start, smooth, not enough power to suit

me. I got the OS 91FX and that did the job. 91 is in the same case as th

61 so no changes had to be made.

My personal preference would be a 4 stroke

-- mode

this thread:

mode1

Just wanted to mention a real "sleeper". There is an engine being imported by Bob Baumstein (sp?) of Omaha that he sells through ebay for about $60. Seems he had a lot of these made somewhere in SE Asia a couple years back and would like to get them all sold. They seem to run okay and are quite a value. I am pretty sure you will find them if you do a search on ebay using "60 model airplane engine". The design is basicly a good sport 60. Bob Furr

Reply to
icerinkdad

These are called Lincoln Engines and are apparently made in the same factory as Megatech glow engines.

Bob is a fellow Omahawk.

Reply to
Ed Paasch