Engine for GP .60 Stick and H9 .60 Ultrastick

I've ended up with 2 60 sized sticks... the GP 60 and the Ultrastick 60. I've got 4 possible engines for these planes sitting on a shelf at the moment... a Magnum .91 2 stroke, Magnum .91 4 stroke, OS .91 2 stroke, and OS .91 4 stroke. I'd kind of like to go with the 4 strokes, but want to make sure that I end up with unlimited vertical on these planes. The .91 four stroke is the top end 4 stroke recommended on the Ultrastick anyway, so I feel somewhat sure that I'll be ok on it. However, on the GP .60, they go all the way up to a 1.20, which seems a bit on the "large" size. Has anyone tried a .91 four stroke on the GP .60 stick, and if so, how was the performance? Particularly the vertical? What prop did you use? How about the Ultrastick .60... any prop recommendations for a .91 four stroke on that one?

If the .91 four stroke just isn't enough power, I can go with the 2 stroke, no problem... I was just kind of leaning towards the 4's just for grins...

Thanks,

-Barry

Reply to
Barry L. McGrady

You have to remember that the GP Stick is in the old tradition of the Kraft Ugly Stick. It was not intended for unlimited vertical and is probably a larger and heavier plane than the Ultra Stick. Both the OS and Magnum 4 strokes may struggle for unlimited vertical if you use low nitro. With

20/20, you will be closer. The OS will easily handle up to 45% nitro in stock form. It will also be near 1.20 performance on that juice. I suspect that the Magnum will be similar. Since the four strokes inherently use less fuel than the two strokes, the difference in fuel cost won't be as great per minute of flying. A 14X6 on 20/20 should be a good starting point.
Reply to
Paul McIntosh

I currently fly a GP Big Stick 60 with a ST90. It has unlimited performance....I love it.

Craig

Reply to
Craig Trickett

Just about finished assembling my Ultra Stick 60 with a Magnum .91FS. Installed the elevator and rudder servos just ahead of the tail to help balance. Still have to add some lead but havent figured out how much as yet. Full crow capable along with full span ailerons. Cant wait to get this sucker into the air!

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

I assume you're talking GP Big Stik 60...

If so, I've flown 4 of them with an old OS .61SF, but replaced it late last year with an OS .91FX. With an empty tank the weight is 7.0 lbs. Unlimited (or near unlimited) vertical is quite nice. Just what the doctor ordered.

Jim

Reply to
Joe Bill