Wanted -- universal buddy cord!

This has been on the group before, but I have a Futaba system and two newbies I'm instructing who have JR radios. The LHS is partial to JR and that's what most new fliers end up with here. The only way I can teach them to fly is the old "grab the transmitter when they goof" technique. I know there's a gentleman in the U.K. that makes a universal buddy cord kit, but there is no commercially available off-the-shelf device that will buddy box a JR to another brand of transmitter. I realize one of the problems is that JR assigns its channels differently from other systems, but in this day of microprocessors, somebody should be able to come up with a way to switch them around so each function goes to the channel used by the other brand's radio. Everybody's servos are interchangable now, so why can't we have a standardized buddy cord setup? Is there some enterprising soul who can come up with a device to let different brands of transmitters buddy box together? How about it, manufacturers?

-- Morris Lee snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net

Reply to
Morris Lee

If you are serious about instructing, simply contact JR and get a "Buddy transmitter" for about $35+/-. (Let the newbies pay for it)

There are eons of old transmitters around. Ask around. JR does require batt. power in the slave to operate properly.

I keep Futaba (Fut and Hitec) Airtronics, and JR dummy Tmtrs.

Even the new Tower radios now use their own buddy cord. Standardize? Not when Tower / Great *Pains*/ Futaba can jerk another $ out of you!!

HC

Reply to
CainHD

You got that right. And the reason the LHS is selling JR's is they get a better wholesale deal from the JR distributor (Horizon) than the Futaba (GP). Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

That's what I figured!

Reply to
Morris Lee

Hi,

I guess indeed that the best solution for a trainer is to have a buddy box for EACH brand/type of transmitter and the appropriate buddy lead. But who's gonna pay that?? ... Futaba-Futaba/Robbe-Hitec (and 4 different connectors) ... JR/Graupner ... Sanwa/Airteronics ... Multiplex

This means 4 buddy boxes and all appropriate buddy leads... But anyway, it's probably the easiest and best soltution...

Other (sometimes) feasable solutions to be found on my website. Olivier

Reply to
Olivier Gibon

Yeah, but a guy can dream, can't he, of transmitters that hook together with a simple mini phone plug with perhaps a multiposition switch or programming menu to allow your transmitter to "talk" to another brand? If there's enough demand...