Buddy box + aileron differential questions -- programming Rascal 40

I have two identical Futaba Super 7UGFS transmitters, and want to buddy them together for a training airplane. I've searched the archives and found that when the buddy box is enabled, all the computer settings of the master are for naught, apparently. Lotta programming work for sophisticated trainers, but I'm willing to try it.

Questions:

  1. If I set up identical computer profiles on the master and slave transmitters, can the two-alieron-servo setup work on both master and slave? (I don't see why not)

  1. Can the master be using model 2, and the slave model 1? (ditto)

  2. The Sig manual for the Rascal 40 has no advice about aileron differential, either with programming or by angles of linkage geometry. I'd like to implement the one-per-side aileron servos using channels 1 and
6, integrating them with the flaperon function. That allows mixing of the two channels for aileron control, flap action (for later), and aileron differential. Anyone see a problem with that?

  1. Any recommendations for the initial percentage to use for aileron differential on this high-winged elliptical-planform, flat-bottom design? Edberg suggests 50%; I would have guessed more like 67% (more equal travel up and down).

  2. I assume that when the instructor trims the model with the master, the student needs to make the same trim adjustments on the slave transmitter before the instructor enables the slave; correct?

Thanks, all

Reply to
Charles Wahl

| I have two identical Futaba Super 7UGFS transmitters, and want to buddy | them together for a training airplane. I've searched the archives and | found that when the buddy box is enabled, all the computer settings of the | master are for naught, apparently.

Not true. When you're not holding the trainer switch, all those settings are in full effect. But the moment you let go of it, they all go out the window and what matters is only how the buddy box is programmed.

| 1. If I set up identical computer profiles on the master and slave | transmitters, can the two-alieron-servo setup work on both master and | slave? (I don't see why not)

Yes.

| 2. Can the master be using model 2, and the slave model 1? (ditto)

Yes. | 5. I assume that when the instructor trims the model with the master, the | student needs to make the same trim adjustments on the slave transmitter | before the instructor enables the slave; correct?

Yes. Well, he doens't have to, but when you switch, the trim will change. Best to avoid this ...

I know you don't have one, but the Futaba 9c is an exception to all of this. It has the ability to decode the signal sent by the buddy box, run it through it's own programming, and then feed that to the plane.

This is *extremely* nice -- you can have a plane that uses all 8 channels or so, and use a 4 channel buddy box, and it will all just work. You can even continue to control things like the flaps from the master box when the trainer is engaged (because the buddy box doesn't even have the flaps channel.)

(Of course, you can turn this off too, and have it work like all the other radios out there.)

Reply to
Doug McLaren

Re: question 3: Don't use flaperons (down going) use spoilerons (up going). Flaperons effectively give wash-in and can cause wing tip stalling.

My .02 worth.

Vic

geometry.

aileron

master, the

transmitter

Reply to
The Shaw's

Yes, I've a Black Horse Travel Air and this is exactly what we have it set up as. When you press the trainer switch it's as if the master tx is not there, anything you need to set to make the plane fly you need to have set on both the master and the slave.

Yes, I use Model memory 1, My trainer is also 1, But I know the model number is irrelevent as he has the others set for other students to make it easy for him to teach. He just pushes a few buttons rather than have to reset the whole radio from scratch for each Studen, He flies with a 8 series if he's flying himself.

Sorry don't know

Again don't know

Yes, And No. Noth boxes need to be trimmed, but the digital trims on the 7 mean that you might not have the trim levers in the same place on the two tx's

We don't do it quite that way. Both me and my instructer have FF7's (what they call them in the UK!). We set up both TX's so the trim settings are identical in terms of the movement of the plane NOT releative to each other. IE my FF7 has a bit of right aileron in to keep them level, his doesn't need it. It's got to be related to the digital trims but we didn't go down that route.

We set it up on the ground before taking off with all the control surfaces in the middle using the master TX, Then push the trainer switch and level them out on the student box, the goal is so when you push the trainer switch there is as little change as possible, so when it's in the air switching from master to student doesn't make the plane jink suddenly.

If it's a new plane take it up and trim it out first so you have the right settings on the master box then match the control serfaces deflection once it's on the ground on the slave. Or get an experienced flier to trim it as well as the instructor

Hope thats clear.

Reply to
Gavin