PT-40 Kit Mods???

Hi All,

I found a 40 size trainer kit the other day, buried in the closet, and will probably build it this winter. I'm looking for suggestions as to what I might want to add to it, delete, etc. I have an 8 channel Futaba TX/RX, so there is room for more servos if needed, and I can build fairly well. I've been flying an Avistar, modified to taildragger, bolt on wing, and an OS-61FX with a 12x5 prop.

So... What should I add/do to this kit for a good time, using an OS-46 engine?

  • Flaps?
  • Less or no dihedral?
  • Another taildragger?
  • Separate servos for each aileron?
  • ?????

Thanks for your inputs!

Regards,

Rich Low time pilot, World Class Navigator.....

Reply to
rich

You can do a lot with it. Take the dihedral down to about 1" under each tip (for looks). Flaps would be cool, ailerons, absolutely and with separate servos, then you can use them as flaperons also. Make it a tail dragger for sure. How about a bomb drop release also - something you can drop toilet paper rolls (cut in thirds with band saw). If you are handy you can make one servo handle two releases - a pin extending 3/8" from each side of fuselage, loop a rubber band over each side and to a fixed point on the opposite side. Move servo in one direction and pin pulls flush with the fuselage releasing drop No 1. then move it in the other direction for drop No. 2.

Red S.

Reply to
Red Scholefield

I was going to say the same thing about the dihedral. Don't remove all of it, or it will appear that the model's wings are drooping.

Another trick is to make the leading edge radius a bit larger (blunter) and then jack up the trailing edge of the wing about 1/8" to 3/16". This fools the model into thinking that it has a semisymmetrical airfoil and will stop most of the zooming qualities of a typical flat bottom winged trainer.

Doubling the chord of the ailerons will be of tremendous help, should you decide to use them as lifting devices, as well as roll controls. Be sure to find stiff, light aileron stock for the dead.

I also agree with the separate servos for each wing idea. Having flown both two servo and four servo wing installations, other than for performing high Alpha maneuvers, the two extra servos on a .46 size model are pushing the weight up unnecessarily. Just two servos with large ailerons will enable you to do some outstanding maneuvers without the weight penalty.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Thanks Guys!!!

I'm getting excited about this already. I'm seeing a bright red bomber with flaperons, that refuses to act like a trainer.

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding fueling, battery charging? I hate the location of the charging jack on the Avistar, under the wing. Any other access panels for easy fuel tank removal, or something else??? Are push-pull controls out of the question? Mounting the rudder and horiz stab servos in the back with consideration of C/G? Anything else??

Thanks again!

Rich.....

Reply to
rich

Bomb drop. on floats mk

Reply to
MK

Has anyone ever tried spoilers??? Our jets here at work use them all the time, and there are a few times on a windy day I think I could have used them! Would a servo need to be sideways in the wing to activate them??? Have to give this some thought.....

Reply to
rich

If you are using a computer radio with oversize ailerons and a servo for each ailerson, you can obtain a similar effect by programming a switch to lift both ailerons, while simultaneously adding a bit of down elevator. The latter isn't a must have for the first flights, but be sure to slow down quite a bit before deploying the raised flaperons. One model I had would dive towards the ground if flying too fast when the ailerons were raised. Once the model slows down sufficiently, you actually need to apply down elevator to fly level with the ailerons raised. Neat and non critical, as long as you learn the effects at sufficient altitute and you have memorized, i.e., taught your fingers, where the switch is on the transmitter to turn this feature "off". You won't have time to scan the transmitter visually.

Conversely, in normal flight mode, having the flaperons coupled to move opposite the elevator will permit you to fly at much lower airspeed with complete control, even right down on the deck. Don't forget to carry some extra power when flying like this. A 3D type of prop helps a lot too.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Ed, Thanks for reminding me about the ability to put both ailerons up with the 'puter. I agree, something that will require some testing at altitude! Beats putting in a separate spoiler system.

I'll print these up, and save the ideas for the winter project. Tomorrow, it's back to the field to turn more gas into noise!

Regards.....

Reply to
rich

You are welcome, Rich. I enjoy flying in that mode. It is weird and hard to figure out sometimes, but with enough altitude, all is well.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger