Why do pusher planes have this feature ?

Hi all,

Motor axis is not paralel to the fuselage axis on FirebirdXL like planes. The motor seems to point in a downward angle. I Myself have a Wingo, and on this type of pusher plane, the motor points a little upward . Why do these motors are not simply mounted paralel to the fuse , but rather point upward or downward, depending on the pusher plane ?

-- Glowboy

Reply to
Glowboy

My guess would be that it has something to do with the fact that the motive force is behind the CG. Also, the the Firebird type planes use the motor to control altitude. Just my guess.

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

If the engine is above the CG the thrust pushes the nose down on throttle up so you put in up thrust to compensate. Thrustline beneath the CG, add downthrust, as the nose is pushed up on throttle up.

Don

Reply to
Don Hatten

Thank you guys. It's quite clear now.