Wow - I didn't realise how powerful these brushless motors can be

Been flying electrics for a few years now. Cheaper than glow ? No way...but I do like my electrics. I still have 3 glow aircraft and will probably always keep 2 or 3. I just converted a pattern ship. Took a $ 90.00 OS .46 FX off the nose and put in about $ 800.00 in motor , batteries and ESC. Also a $129.00 Astro Li Poly charger. Then another bunch of odds and ends that run the bill up over $ 1000,00 . Lost one $45.00 pack after 3 charges....a hard landing wrinkled up another and I was afraid to use it anymore. BTW , I have 10 packs......in a 5p2s configuration. Those require a lot of maintenance. There is no way that I can justify either cost or convenience. Just like it. I do , however , agree that small park flyers are very convenient, but the headaches begin when you get into high voltage , high capacity multiple packs. But , as I said before , I like it. :-)

My .02 cents worth.

Ken Day

Reply to
Ken Day

| Speaking of choice, and to drift completely off topic,

Why? Don't we have enough politics here?

| it's likely that I've invested more time, effort, and money | researching electrics than I have on the larger issues coming up | next week Tuesday.

Understandable. They probably affect your life more than voting for Rich Guy #1 or Rich Guy #2 ...

| Are you, Mike, ready to make an informed choice that day?

I don't know about Mike, but I am. If the weather permits, and I don't have sick kids to watch (like I do today), I'll make the informed choice -- I'll go out to fly! (I work on weekends, so my days off are tuesday and wednesday.)

(I plan to also make my choice between the two rich guys, but I do realize which choice is more likely to affect me in the long-run, and that's the one that matters -- `fly or not?')

Reply to
Doug McLaren

Since you didn't compare an equivelent size plane, it matters not. Also, you get one discharge of the battery, then yo go home and wait a few hours before you can fly again. With the average gasser, you can just about go indefinitely as long as you have fuel. Field recharges of trans and flight packs are as quick as 20 minutes.

Also, I would be VERY interested in a manufacturer that claime 1000 recharges for their LIPOs under the hard usage they would get flying a 40 size plane. Most will only claim around 300 or so.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Yeah it is funny, I am not sure if the modler with less disposable income is lol. The modler with allot of disposable income may find the BigStik 40 appealing. The modler with a shallow wallet would find the Pacer a good choice. What is more important to me is not cost but performance, reliability, and flexibility. Doing a side by side comparison of the two the BigStik 40 would handle Mother Nature a bit better then the Pacer. After that fact both ships would be great flyers, but the Pacer would win out in being more flexible and less expensive to build. $30.00 bucks of balsa, $15.00 dollar motor, $ 40.00 ESC, and inexpensive battery packs....................................So ladies and gentlemen if you are looking for a sporty aerobatics plane to push around at 70mph, you have two choices...................................the big question to ask yourself as heard in a familiar commercial " What's in Your wallet...."

Mike

Reply to
Mike R

Today the healthy kids and mom are taking care of sick dad......allergies. If the weather permits Tuesday I will be flying also.

Mike

fiction.

Reply to
Mike R

Sorry, Mike. I wrote unclearly and led you to misunderstand my thinking. I was laughing with you, not at or about you. The little slice of history you pointed us to makes clear that, as ever, what was old is new again. Small park flyers are all the rage now, for all the same good reasons they were the first time around. I am tickled pink, literally and figuratively, to fly $1 worth of fanfold EPS using the remnants of discarded CD drives for propulsion. We live in a very interesting time. The confluence of technologies -- micro-electronic receivers and controllers, pico-nano servos, and very high power density secondary batteries -- makes possible a realm of flight not possible before. (Right?!) The irony is that the clever and efficient use of materials in your Pacer, for one fifty year old example, shows us otherwise. Every generation of teenagers believes they are the first to discover and truly understand sex. And so we are the teenagers of this generation, us of long gray nose hairs. I tell my son that Alzheimer's won't be so terrible for me. I can enjoy afresh the cable TV reruns as though for the first time, each and every time.

Reply to
Boat

That is simply not true. Running at the sort of sport discharge levels I do, I get about 20 minutes of flying for about 40 minutes of charge. (LIPOS)

two ten minute flights with a ten minute break between, and the other pack is charged.

It gets mor complex if you are flying big stuff, because the amount of energy needed will eventually flatten the car battery, but most people seem to hae a couple of packs at least, so they get in maybe 45 minutes total flying time from freshly charged LIPO packs.

Besides, since I fly round the house anyway, flying is just somethng that happens when the weather is right. No need to go to a flying field at all!

I would agree on that. No question, cost for big stuff is nowhere near IC yet, but performance is.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That is corect

and efficient use of materials in your Pacer, for one fifty year old

At least the teens are getting sex :-)

Boat, I did not misunderstand you. No need to appoligize. I wrote that because its true............has to do with disopasaple income for some people.............For me I could realy kick my self in the butt for throwing away alot of CD drives if I knew that a long time ago. I stumbled upon that info a few months ago.

Mike

Reply to
Mike R

Your level of flying is NOT what is being discussed. I are talking about 40 size aircraft, not park fliers. Although some keep interjecting that into the discussion.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Sorry old man. Didn't realise it was YOUR discussion.....

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

When you answer it is only reasonable to expect the asnwer to be PERTINENT to the discussion.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

like this one you mean ? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ the discussion.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes, just like that one. Are you getting so thick that you don't understand?

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

No, taking due note of your behaviour, I have manged to avoid the greater onset of senility this far.

I suspect its too much castor oil and methanol in the brain.

By flying electric, I avoid this.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Hmm! Electric shock therapy! Would explain much!

Reply to
C.O.Jones