check for fraud, cheating or plagerism

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 13:18:19 -0400, "lilmissgiggles"

That's funny, and so true.
In college, we used a CAD program, don't remember the name at all, something vaguely experimental. It was an introduction to the topic, taught as part of a mechanical engineering design class. There were only a few simple assignments.
Some people really disliked the graduate T.A. who taught the CAD portion of the class. So one of my more childish classmates created a tiny text entity that said something like, "Conrad Hunter sucks" [1]. It was about the size of a period, too small to read on a plotted page.
But the T.A. didn't grade using the plotted page. Instead, he used something like "LIST" and viewed text descriptions of the drawing. There were only supposed to be about 10 entities in most of our assignments. He had explained this to those who were paying attention. This was to make sure that we used, for example, a rectangle instead of four lines, or that we had placed the entities precisely instead of just by eye.
All I remember is that my classmate was very angry at his grade.
However, that give me another thought.
The ideas about a short test that is timed and monitored, and a short interview session, are probably the best ways to grade a student's progress. However, ...
Would it be possible to set up each student with a unique starting template, that contains their name or initials or ID number somewhere in the document? Or maybe in a block definition? Even a unique name for a block, custom line type, or a layer? Or the name of an attribute in a block (not the value of the attribute.
That way, if another student starts with somebody else's drawing, they will drag this evidence with them.
This would work as long as they don't know about PURGE or some of the block commands, but is there some less-used AutoCAD feature that would work like a tracer?
If a kid is bright enough to read the manual or use HELP, then they probably don't need to cheat. And if they cheat and are smart enough to cover their tracks, of course, that's indistinguishable from "success" in some cultures.
[1] spot the literary allusion.
--
Steve M - snipped-for-privacy@houston.rrdirt.com (remove dirt for reply)

Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly,
I'm busting a rib here. Seriously though this sounds like some of the technicians I've seen in the workplace. Scary isn't it.

say
across
even
create log files.... logfilemode
i also ran a google search of past answers to this question...
#### posted: 1999/10/22
A simple and quite safe way would be to give them an lisp application that would be necessary to fulfill the given task (some automation like drawing a boarder with the current user's name or whatever else). In this app you can add a reactor that fires whenever AutoCAD shuts down. I would define the reactor so that it would attach XDATA with the actual time under an appname that is derived from the current user's login name. This way you would also be able to track back to find out who got it from whom and to see who made the original.
Would be fun to see the students faces when you confront them with your proof of their cheat :-)
****************************************** * Tom Berger * snipped-for-privacy@architektur.uni-kassel.de ******************************************
####
#### posted: 1999/10/22 (in response to the above post)
That would be along the same lines as what I would suggest; Add a routine that they would run that would submit their file with the log file (a start function would make sure its on).
The cheater's log file would be quite short. Some thing like, copy, exit.
P. Farrell ####
There is a "Time" commant in AutoCad that gives an indication of how long the file has been worked on

run
Contact a local CAD Insitution and ask them what they do??

make
thinking