Lost data, saving w/ rollback on, power failure fried data?

Hey you guys. I'm using SW2007sp4

I was saving my work in a rollback state for well over 4 hours and we had a power failure today.

Now, after rebooting and looking at my data, the local data was about

3 hours old and the backup data was about 2h40m old, that is, the backup is younger than the local data!?!?!

BTW, I was saving about every 5-10mins and about 5 mins before the power failure. So I know I saved but my data was not there?

So, I lost about 3 hours of work. (I can make up the loss in 2 hrs because I remember some of it but that time is gone, damn!)

Has anyone seen this or have this problem using rollback, but say you accidently turned off the pc or rebooted and saw something like the above??

..

Reply to
zxys

Paul,

In Windows Exploder there are options to display different dates. RMB on the column titles and go into advanced. You can get creation, modify and access dates.

TOP

Reply to
TOP

Anyone say APS?

Bo

Reply to
Bo

Paul,

In cases like this, our guys can usually repair the file with minimum loss. If you're still hosed, try to get the file to Corporate Tech support and they can get it back to you fixed. You should do this through your VAR but if you can't, let me know and I'll get it to them. I'm currently in CA for the last two weeks, just getting back from backpacking trip in Yosemite. I'll be back in the office on Thursday.

Regards

Mark

Reply to
mbiasotti

Hey Paul,

Thanks but, unfortunately the files are history. I deleted them because, something went south and I just don't trust them, (btw, for those looking, it's "More" and "Date accessed" which unfortunately does not give us much info on the history.)

..

Reply to
zxys

Bo,

My concern here is about saving with rollback on, and whether this is known problem? Although my case maybe a complete freak of nature, I wrote here to share some thing... what happened is/was definitely odd?

Hmm,... what's a APS? You mean, APC / UPS?

.. but I'll tell you a story about my past APC's (APC Back-UPS 300 and

400).... IMHO and experience, neither of them were worth the money I spent for them. In testing them, None of them ever were able run as long as they said and ALL of them degraded on performance or failed within 2 years. (2 year warranties, gotta luv them??) Years ago, I was working on a couple of Sun workstations with huge APC's ($1K each at the time) under the desk,... guess what, NONE of them worked long enough to save safely..

I save and backup often enough that I'm pretty safe and anyone in this business know's stuff happens even when you do every thing to save data. (even at 99.9% sh#t happens)

..

Reply to
zxys

Mark,

Thanks but I just started over and made up the difference.

I'm jealous, I want to be in the forest hiking!! Where did you hike, what trails?

..

Reply to
zxys

Paul,

I frequently have files that are created after they are modified. If you were saving, do you have save set to 2 copies? When SW saves to backup it make an identical copy of what you save so if one is messed up so is the other. 2 copies is the only way to get past that.

What SW saves and how with rollback is not known to me.

I would be curious to know what the created and modified dates and time were. Sure you can't find them in the bit bucket?

TOP

PS Now we know why SW issued Blackberries. Just can't get away. :)

Reply to
TOP

Paul,

I only have it set to "1", having it set to "2" is a good idea. Yeah, well, the data is bye-bye, I'd have to try to recover it with a recovery program.

Got his Blackberry and wondering in the forest,.. hmm, I bet he's got a GPS on it as well... that's cheating, ain't it!! ;^)

..

Reply to
zxys

You know, I think I have seen the same type of scenario but without the rollback parameter. Just the other day, we had a machine crash out, and the backup files were more than an hour old in spite of the user having saved more often than that. One of those huh?? moments. Same issue maybe?

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Wayne,

It could very well be my own isolate sunspot occurrence but a behavior I have seen recently with SW2007 is this,.. Open up explorer and note the file size.... Get in a rollback state,... Do some changes/additions,... Do a save,... note the file size,.... Now,.. sometimes the file size does not change!? (yes, even after a F5)?

Sure,... I'm smok'n sumth'n, right!?!?

I've seen it! (hmm,... maybe I've encountered the first cyber UFO siting)?

(Mark, are there any Sasquatch's up there?) 8^)

..

Reply to
zxys

My kid just told me he saw a UFO. Right over the glide path for the local airport too.

TOP

Reply to
TOP

Myself and some other dad's from my former Church in CA do a father/ daughter (mine is 17 now) to the top of Half-Dome every year; this is our fourth year. This year we included sons also so we had a group of about 14 total. We start from Tenaya Lake (park cars in valley and take tram) and hike to Sunrise hi-sierra camp for 1st nite, then 2nd nite at little yosemite valley camp (on back side of half-dome) then up to half-dome and back down to the valley via the Nevada/Vernal falls trail. Yosemite is one of the things I missed most about CA.

Regards

Mark

Reply to
mbiasotti

He's truly fortunate. I was 5 yrs old when I saw my first,... well, it was green/blue/yellow and zoomed across the sky really fast... WOW! Later, when I was 45 yrs,I was told the truth (messed my mind up, all those dreams...) , it was a stray missile which was aborted (detonated) and the scraps (probably with fuel on them) as they entered the lower altituded glowed grn/blu/ylw.

.. ;^)

Reply to
zxys

Mark,

Half Dome is one of the great ones! Very kewl hike! I've never been that route but it sounds great!

I wanna go!!!

,,

Reply to
zxys