settings wizard not working with roaming profiles....

I'm new to using the settings wizard with roaming profiles on a domain. The settings wizard has an option to restore settings to roaming profiles which I did, and it completed the task without errors. However, when I tested this on a workstation - by logging off the current user and logging on as a new user - it had none of the new settings at all (which are primarily about file location paths).

Has anyone used this feature successfully?

Thanks,

Zander

Reply to
Zander

I think the settings wizards is user specific. Has to be applied to each user.

TOP

Reply to
TOP

The verbiage in the dialog box states that with the roaming option, it "Copies settings to the CURRENT USER registry of selected users." (Since I don't know anything about roaming profiles, then my thoughts here are only guesses.) From that it would appear that you would have to make sure you select each user from the list and it should then copy the settings to the current user registry area. But I suspect that the selection & copying can only happen to machines that currently have someone logged in since without that there couldn't be a current user?

The other network option was to copy to the LM area of selected machines which then would give a NEW user on the machine the proper settings.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Right, roaming profiles reside on the domain controller or server. In order to use the roaming profiles function successfully you have to be logged in as a domain administrator (which I was). Then the dialogue shows a list of all available roaming profiles. I selected all the solidworks users and the wizard proceed to show 'applying settings to user1, 2, 3 etc. ' until it was done. In other words every thing appeared to work properly.

BTW, having roaming profiles means if you sit down at any computer and log in, you see your personal desktop, email, my documents etc - ie. your whole documents and settings folder.

Unfortunately, although the wizard claimed success it became obvious very quickly that this function doesn't work at all - it had no apparent impact whatsoever on the selected users! I'll call my var tomorrow and see if I can find resolution.

I would rather not have roaming profiles enabled but it's not my choice as I'm just consulting for this customer and helping them setup their cad department. Their IT guy is the promulgator of roaming profiles....

Thanks,

Zander

Reply to
Zander