dimension line tick marks remain

Even though I turned off my dimension layer, all the dimension line tick
marks are remaining on the screen?
Reply to
don
Are the tick marks the resulf of somenone using a tickmark block and on a different layer, rather than setting tickmark in the dimstyle?
Bob
Reply to
<castlebravo242
look at your layers if the tic marks were created on layer 0 they will behave as you predict if not there may be a different layer on which they were created.
Bob
Reply to
<castlebravo242
Yes, but when I touch them they are on the same layer as my dimensions so why don't they vanish too?
Reply to
don
So, if you freeze the dims layer - as opposed to turning it off - I guess they disappear, right?
Reply to
strawberry
Not necessarily. Once again this is a textbook example of someone screwing up a drawing because they don't take a minimal amout of time to figure out how to use the software correctly. The simple fix is isolate all the tick marks, erase them. Then open the dimension style dialog box and fix the dimension style you are using to use the arrow, tick mark, etc. of your choice. Then when you freeze, turn off the dimension layer all the dimension objects disappear.
Daryl
Reply to
sakoguy
So, if you freeze the dims layer - as opposed to turning it off - I guess they disappear, right?
Now that you mention it - YES, when I freeze them they disappear, but when I turn them off they remain... whats the difference?
Reply to
don
This isn't well documented but you can easily test this for yourself. Just make a simple block comprising objects created on Layer0, Defpoints and 1 or 2 other layers. Now insert the block onto each of the layers and play around with the layer settings.
You will see that turning off a layer only affects the block objects of a block inserted on that layer if those objects belong either to that layer or to layer0.
Freezing a layer 'freezes' any blocks inserted on that layer and any and all objects within those blocks.
Note also that with 3d objects, turning off a layer renders 3d objects belonging to it invisible, however they will still be seen to 'obscure' other objects behind them. This is true whether or not the objects belong to a block.
Reply to
strawberry
What strawberry said. Also, note that when layers are frozen they are completely non-selectable. But when they are merely turned off, they are selectable with the "_all" selection option. There are handy reasons, I suppose, to turning off a layer, but in my practice, I find it a whole lot safer to freeze layers rather than to turn them off. I just don't like suprises in my work.
Bill DeShawn
Bill DeShawn
Assomiglia voi ha trovato Bologna. Assomiglia ad un cane con due teste che combattono con s=E8.
:)
Bill DeShawn
Bill DeShawn