Help...Dimensioning in model space (layout) using solview/soldraw

I have several students using Autocad 2002....we dimension in Model space (within paperspace layout) and use solview and soldraw to obtain the layout
(floating viewports). After setting the proper layer and making sure the UCS is in the proper place, dimensions we place are sometime hidden from view, however, are still there and selectable. What is causing this situation...PLEASE HELP!!! I would like to be able to see the dimensions. WE ARE STUCK!!! Thanks to anyone with a solution.
The solution is -----------> dimension in paperspace.
That's how AutoCAD has been designed - at least the last couple of versions.

layout
UCS is

WE
> The solution is -----------> dimension in paperspace.

Hmmmmm, I tried that..... had lots of problems. Other people move stuff around in paperspace when I am not around, or I inadvertently do. 99.9% of my dimensions are in model space. Dimensions belong on the model, then I can create other dimension layers and control views in different v-ports by freezing layers in v-ports

--------------BD37B087D2763BEF26395B20 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Hi, Brian;
Just out of curiosity, have you ever seen dimensions, centerlines, hidden lines and so on at, say, bypassing car? If not than why would you put all af these stuff into a Model space? Since the object/model in real life is free from all of the auxiliary information shouldn't that info being placed in Paper Space which is designated for it?
Igor.
Brian Spillane wrote:

--------------BD37B087D2763BEF26395B20 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
--------------BD37B087D2763BEF26395B20--
A bypassing car? I am not drawing the object in real life, I am drawing it on a computer! I have not seen any bypassing cars or trucks there. get an occasional pedestrian passing by my cubicle but that's about it.
hey, put your dimensions wherever you want. Mine are going to stay in modelspace. which by the way is where most of our clients want them, and since they are paying for the work, who am I to argue with the client? Sooner or later, someone that works differently than you will open one of your drawings, go into model space and move stuff. have fun.
face="Courier New,Courier"><FONT size=-1>Hi, Brian;</FONT></FONT> <P><FONT face="Courier New,Courier"><FONT size=-1>&nbsp;Just out of curiosity, have you ever seen dimensions, centerlines, hidden lines and so on at, say, bypassing car? If not than why would you put all af these stuff into a Model space? Since the object/model in real life is free from all of the auxiliary information shouldn't that info being placed in Paper Space which is designated for it?</FONT></FONT> <P><FONT face="Courier New,Courier"><FONT size=-1>Igor.</FONT></FONT> <BR>&nbsp; <BR>&nbsp; <P><FONT face="Courier New,Courier"><FONT size=-1>Brian Spillane wrote:</FONT></FONT> <BLOCKQUOTE TYPE="CITE"><FONT face="Courier New,Courier"><FONT size=-1>Hmmmmm, I tried that.....&nbsp; had lots of problems.</FONT></FONT> <BR><FONT face="Courier New,Courier"><FONT size=-1>Other people move stuff around in paperspace when I am not around, or I</FONT></FONT> <BR><FONT face="Courier New,Courier"><FONT size=-1>inadvertently do.&nbsp; 99.9% of my dimensions are in model space. Dimensions</FONT></FONT> <BR><FONT face="Courier New,Courier"><FONT size=-1>belong on the model,....</FONT></FONT></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
--------------DE575C5650F9B2108EA9A760 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Thank you, Brian, you have answered my question.
Regards,
Igor.
Brian Spillane wrote:

--------------DE575C5650F9B2108EA9A760--
Set shademode to 2D in all view ports
Terry Rawkins
http://www.clik.to/cad /

layout
UCS is

WE
Thanks for suggestions....the 2D setting inthe shade dropdown seem to take care of it. Thanks to all.