Layer limit

Can someone tell me the limit of the number of layers that AutoCAD 2000,2002 and 2004 can handle as a maximum.

Regards

Andy

Reply to
Andy Roberts

I doubt there is a limit, I think it's your RAM or the maximum file size that Windows can handle.

From a programmer's point of view 256 (8 bit integer) would be the first limit, that's not the case for sure.

Next "natural" limit fould be 16 bit, i.e. 256*256=65536. I never heard of any dwg with that insane number of layers.

Above that is 32 bit, 65536*65536=4294967296 layers...

Conny

"Andy Roberts" skrev i meddelandet news:bp03rb$7k6$ snipped-for-privacy@hercules.btinternet.com...

Reply to
Conny Klasson

I had a 40 mb drawing of a corn process plant that had about 2000 layers. FWIW: that was way too many.. what a pain in the arse.

Reply to
Longshot

Or any of those numbers divided by two.

Reply to
gruhn

"gruhn" schrieb:

... there exist 10 kind of people: those who understand the binary system and those who don't :-)

Tom SCNR Berger

Reply to
Tom Berger

I'm afraid I come under the category of "those that dont" Can you explain what this means please Tom

Regards

Andy

Reply to
Andy Roberts

"Andy Roberts" schrieb:

I am quite certain that you can understand my statement easily, when you read the given number not as a decimal but as a binary value. "gruhn's" answer didn't make much sense.

T:-)m Berger

Reply to
Tom Berger

Why not, "tom"? It may not have been fully explained for the benefit of the uninitiated, but it made tons of sense.

It wasn't an answer.

It was just further info. Not every programmer uses unsigned integers for everything. As such, 127, 32767... are also possible layer limits.

Reply to
gruhn

"gruhn" schrieb:

Yes, of course. I didn't mean to offend you, and you certainly are right. But it wasn't an answer and didn't explain anything - so I called it to make "no sense".

Tom Berger

Reply to
Tom Berger

In binary "2" is written as "10."

Reply to
Daniel J. Ellis

Greater than 32767 (which was ±the limit in R14)

AutoCAD 2000,2002

Reply to
Smackypete

there is no practical limit. just make sure to adjust maxsort so you can see them all in order.

Reply to
Jakub

That reminds me...

In the quick select dialog, set by layer and the layer drop down is never in an order that I can make sense. Is this a feature? Am I missing something?

Reply to
gruhn

Hey I never noticed that before! Abysmal isn't it??? Reminds me of an old R14 express tool that behaved the same way for some inexplicable reason. In that case, layers were displayed in the order they were created, which baffles me as to any sort of usefulness. Could this be similar?!?!??!??

Reply to
Jakub