Mapping

First off, let me explain what I have. I'm using Autodesk Map 2004. have a dxf map file that I exported from GPS software. The file i
composed of pipes, hydrants valves, and manholes.
However, the symbols represented in the GPS software did not transfe
so Autodesk map made them all the same symbol using the point style The attributes with each block are still intact.
Is there a way to replace just the blocks with new ones and leave th
attribute information and is there a way to display information abou a block by just moving your cursor next to it?
If anyone can help me with this problem I would appreciate it