file size?

I have an ACAD 2000 file consisting of 20 or so piping symbols each one a block consisting soley of lines, arcs, plines, etc. The file size is 537kb. When I copy a single block to a new file the file size is 513kb. If I reproduce the symbol and save it to a new file the size is 23kb. I have exploded a block and copied the resulting entities to a new file, ending up again with a file of 513 kb, likewise when using wblock. What is all the information that seems to "carry along" with each of the blocks? Just curious. Thanks Tim

Reply to
taiken

Jerry G

Jerry, thanks for the reply. I know what you are saying about the layer filters, I've run into that in the past. The aforementioned file has no filters but the symbols are copies taken from a dwg file I downloaded at BellGossett.com and I'm sure the "baggage" originates with this file. I'm just curious why after purging, etc. That the little symbols remain bloated. Thanks again Tim

Reply to
taiken

Reply to
Jerry G

Taiken, In the past I have used either one or both of these methods to "clean" a drawing of any un-seen and un-wanted data.

1) Open the drawing in question, and open a new unnamed drawing. Copy and Paste the blocks to the new drawing, save it and compare file sizes.

If there is no difference:

2) Open the drawing in question, at the command line type "-WBLOCK" select the file name you just opened, click save & answer yes to the file overwrite question, enter "*" at the command line, close the drawing WITHOUT saving.

Good luck, Rich

taiken wrote:

Reply to
rwhall123

An addtional note to Jerry's reply: The office I was in had a similar problem with files getting very large due to the layer filters, but there were literally thousands of filters and was too tedious to delete them individually (Standard 'purge' command doesn't get rid of them, and you can't select them all at once for deletion.) Our tech found a program: CDG Purge (2.0) (free download). it allows you to purge the whole 'layer filters' category (as well as others, individually). Sorry I don't have the link where it was found, but if you can't find it, 'reply to author' and I'll send you the zip file. We were running ADT 3.3 (a 2000 based format) and it worked great. Reduced files from

6MB down to 1.5MB.

-Tom

taiken wrote:

Reply to
teetermots

An addtional note to Jerry's reply: The office I was in had a similar problem with files getting very large due to the layer filters, but there were literally thousands of filters and was too tedious to delete them individually (Standard 'purge' command doesn't get rid of them, and you can't select them all at once for deletion.) Our tech found a program: CDG Purge (2.0) (free download). it allows you to purge the whole 'layer filters' category (as well as others, individually). Sorry I don't have the link where it was found, but if you can't find it, 'reply to author' and I'll send you the zip file. We were running ADT 3.3 (a 2000 based format) and it worked great. Reduced files from

6MB down to 1.5MB.

-Tom

taiken wrote:

Reply to