question about file size...

What tricks are there(if any) for keeping file size of parts manageable. I have had a couple of part files grow to over 60 Mb. Gets a bit cumbersome in assemblies. These parts have lots of surfaces, (some imported) and a fair bit of spline data. I know the usual things like not save edrawing data etc.,

Is there a way to "flush" a part file (without loosing the history) and keep the part size manageable.

thanks

Matthew

Reply to
mm

SAVE AS copy Just have one configuration

60Mb is not a large part anymore.
Reply to
TOP

Lately I've been using SaveAs quite a bit to trim off all the fat from individual files. I also use EcoSqueeze to prepare porjects for sending.

For big parts, you can turn down display quality. This helps especially in assemblies. Another thick in assemblies is to hide the parts with complex geometry before saving. This can help a lot with save time, as that part's geometery will not have to be added to the assembly file.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

I also do a "Save As", then exit part or assembly, then rename original file to something stating it is the original and bloated file, then rename the new lean file back to the original name.

If you have various configurations, SW saves thumbnail views of each you have made active in the file. This can really add up. The "save as" strips all previews from the file but one, the current configuration view.

Keith

Reply to
Keith Streich