Outrageously Large SLDPRT filesize.

Hi All,

I've been working for some time on a pressed metal part file that has gradually grown in size to over 100MB. The file has become cumbersome to open and unstable at times due to this. I've run it through ECOSqueeze and UNFRAG.exe and as yet have had little luck at chopping much off the filesize.

It's a sheetmetal part with several "forming tool" pressings in it with configurations for different sizes and combinations of the pressings. There is also some photoworks data (materials/scene/decal) attached to the part.

I got a little annoyed with it the other day and saved a copy of it to work on to try and reduce the file size. I gradually deleted out the features one by one until I arrived back at the base flange only with no attached photoworks data. By saving this file and running that through ECOSqueeze / UNFRAG.exe I ended up with a file that was another 25MB LARGER than the original file. Doing a "save as" on this blank file yielded an equally weighty filesize.

Are there any further tips and tricks for reducing the filesize of this back to sensible levels? I'm sure there's no good reason for this file to be so large. There's very little complex geometry and I suspect that the filesize has something to do with the legacy data contained within that can now be stripped out.

Any advice gratefully received.

George Maddever.

Reply to
George.Maddever

make an autocre4ated design table to copy your config info, save out the excel file, and then delete all the configs. Do you have an early version of 2007? there were problems like that in the early sps, but it was fixed by say sp3.

Several things contributed to this: multiple bodies, configurations, working in rollback. SW stores the info for bodies (forming tools), and stores rollback info, and it stores info for each config.

also, tyr save as copy just to see if it does anything different.

Other stuff you might try is to encase the part in a large solid block, mocve the part off the screen, zoom way out, change to wireframe, and save. The effect of all this will be minimal compared to deleting the configs.

Of course JB might contradict all of this and have you set the Multiple Contexts option to see if that helps.

Daisy.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
ChamberPot

Hi Daisy,

thanks for that.

I'm running 2.7 SP2.0. I've got the latest service packs and have been meaning to upgrade but I've not yet bothered. Sounds like this might be the perfect excuse to go and have an upgrade and see if that fixes the problem! Certainly something to try for starters :)

Reply to
George.Maddever

Also try a full rebuild.

This can only be done form a macro now a days.. The call is:

swModel.ForceRebuild3 False

Reply to
Ronni

Update to at least SolidWorks 2007 SP3.0. This will fix the problems with file size growing. Files with large sizes should also be fixed when re-saved under the updated SP.

Matt Lorono

fcsuper