large shows

Doncaster festival of model railways around February

East Midlands (Nottingham) around March

Alexandra Palace, London end of March

Wigan December

Nick

Nick Gurney

Apart from Warley, what other large model railway shows are there through out the year in the UK?

By Large, I would be looking for 25+ layouts and various traders, so where and when?

Reply to
Piemanlarger

Yeah right as though that's a selling point!

I visited your site the other day and you know what ... none of your engines, not one of them - any of them had a tender allocated to them. They were all diesels :-)

Actually being a regular visitor of your site you're the inspiration behind me purchasing a Lima (oops its that word - Lima!) "Western" - albeit for a real flight of fancy with the whole thing due to visit the paint shop to be re-sprayed in green and have "Great Western" transfers applied. :-)

(Yes I have been at the beers) :-)

Reply to
Chris Wilson

In message , Nick Gurney writes

Scaleforum

Reply to
John Sullivan

That's really good to know - I live in Brightlingsea, just 10 miles away!

David ;-))

Reply to
David F.

In message , David F. writes

Excellent. I lived in Colchester for about 20 years, and belonged to the club. I would recommend you pop along to one of their meetings on a Thursday evening. West Bergholt, so not too far from you. I'm a little out of touch, as I moved away from the area about five years ago, but I was a member for a good few years, and they have plenty of layouts on the go.

Reply to
Graeme

Scaleforum is not a "large" show in terms of layouts

Paul

Reply to
Paul Reeve

Thanks for your replies, I see others have found the answers useful. Sadly most are too far away for me as I am in S.Wales and yes I forgot I go to Bristol each May! Any one know of an good shows a bit nearer the South/Midlands I could get too between now and Xmas?

Thanks.

Reply to
Piemanlarger

how close? Wells?

RailWells The Town Hall, Market Place, Wells, Somerset.

10.30 until 5.30 on the Sat, 10.30 until 5 on the Sun. Admission £4 Adults, Children & OAPs £3 and a Family ticket will set you back £8.

14 layouts, 16 traders, 11 demonstrators and displays from The Scalefour Society, Pendon Museum, Uplands Railway Museum, Avon Valley Railway, East Somerset Railway and many more.

Featured layouts include Mostyn, Ehen Bridge, Whitchurch Halt, and Saffron Street.

or Burnham?

Sedgemoor Rail 2003 presented by the Burnham & District Model Railway Club.

King Alfred School, Burnham Road, Highbridge, Somerset.

10 until 5 both days. Adults £3, OAPs £2, Family £7.

Featuring over 15 layouts including Tolcarn Engine Shed and Woodbridge Halse.

There's also this one in Taunton in Oct which i can recommend:

mutley

Reply to
mutley

I wish we could expand the Carshalton show, but there is no bigger space at reasonable cost available. In our area, anyway.

We do our best to be 'big'. Mind you, I think it helps to keep the quality up. We usually try for 20/23 layouts and 25 traders. Cheers

-- David Smith. Copthorne. West Sussex. UK snipped-for-privacy@copthorne.freeserve.co.uk

Outgoing mail checked by Norton AntiVirus 2002

>> My next scenery project: model a coalmine's slag heap tip in 4mm scale.

Reply to
David Smith

In message , David Smith writes

I'm not complaining - I enjoyed it!

Reply to
John Sullivan

I have noted all the details in my trusty Notebook!

May see you there (October) ?

David.

Reply to
David F.

In message , David F. writes

Unfortunately not - I have moved 500 miles north since leaving Colchester :-)

Reply to
Graeme

"Graeme" wrote

Railway modelling must be the ideal hobby for a North Sea oil rigger.

8^)#
Reply to
Terry O'Brien

You have the compensation of wonderful scenery 'up there'. Things are so 'flat' around East Anglia!

Best Wishes,

David.

Reply to
David F.

Are there any UK exhibitions in May/June each year (other than Bristol)?

You say Bristol is in May - is the location the same each year, or is there a website/email for it? Thanks, Steve.

Reply to
Steve

Chatham

-- David Smith. Copthorne. West Sussex. UK snipped-for-privacy@copthorne.freeserve.co.uk

Outgoing mail checked by Norton AntiVirus 2002

Reply to
David Smith

There's some sort of show somewhere every month :-)

If you want to use the web there are a number of online diary sites these days, the problem is tracking them down and ensuring our own shows are listed. Simpler and more comprehensive is just to get a copy of Model Rail or Railway Modeller for the month in question (they both publish about a fortnight before the start of the month) then skim through the exhibition diary in the back.

Reply to
Chris White

yup..

mutley

Reply to
mutley

Steve,

It has been established in the Leisure Centre in Thornbury for a few years now and looks to be continuing in that venue for the foreseeable future. It's a good hall (two halls in fact) with plenty of room, free car parking (with overspill in an adjacent field) and quite good catering facilities.

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie