Reducing file size

I have a part file called "ribs". It is a complicated part with about

80 different configurations, about 67 mb. I suppressed all the features in one of the configurations, then saved the part and it is now 2.2 mb. When I zip it, it drops to 450 kb.

Has anyone else tried this? At first, I was very happy that I could reduce the file size by so much without losing anything. Now I wonder: Why was the original file was so huge to begin with?

Reply to
John Kimmel

I think this has been discussed before...But yes.

I have a file at about 100megs that is my master screening component with about 50 configurations. (basicly, different wraps of numerals around a wheels of different sizes for counter assemblies). I think you'll see the same file reduction if you simply "save as" a different copy from within Solidworks, but when you open if up and start changing configs, the file size shoots right back up... I think someone said it was the way SW stored the geometry data...It was a while ago. Someone?

Scott

Reply to
Scott MacIntyre

My favorite as well, and in my (extensive) experience in sharing files with clients it has caused absolutely zero problems. I personally believe SolidWorks does not recommend EcoSqueeze or Unfrag for one of two reasons (or both):

1) It eliminates some of the data that can be used to identify problems, if problems exist 2) It might tend to give them an alibi in a problematic situation if someone has used an unfragmenter -- they can shrug it off

Mark 'Sporky' Stapleton Watermark Design, LLC

Sporkman