Microsoft Hot Fix 919880 to reduce file size on save

FYI this hot fix is on the SW portel. This has 1/2 the size of some my files.

Any good way of opening, ctrl-q, and saving folders of SW files?

steve

Reply to
solid steve

Solidworks Task Scheduler?

Reply to
silashilliard

Would the file size reduction be different than from using Ecosqueeze?

Bill

Reply to
bill allemann

Steve,

I installed the hotfix this morning and.. for me, this is, overall BS!! I've done about 10 test on single surface parts (5-25 megs in size) and this file reduction hype is a big load of crap!!! First, comparing SW2006sp5.1 (also slow!) against SW2007sp2.x (just installed 2.1)is a major negative performance hit, period! Rebuilding is about the same or slower, "the problem is"... ..after a rebuild, the interface is unavailable to the user until about a 3X factor over the rebuild!?!? There is sumthing majorly wrong with how SW releases the data back to the interface after a rollback/roll forward or forced rebuild!?

So, back to the test,.. if you do a ctrl-q and save-as and open it back up, rollback and roll to end and save,.. about 1/3 of the models I tested are LARGER and 1/3 about the same and about 1/3 are smaller, ~20-40% (NOT 50% smaller!)

Now, with SW2007sp2.x being so freaking SLOW, file reduction and what it does reduce, if any time saved in the process, is ridiculous! This is a BIG marketing tail wag that went wrong!

So, who benifits from this,... most likely very large datasets and that's SIMPLE prismatic data, (not top/down design (no broken links allowed)) and working over a network? Who is this geared towards,.. the mainstream prismatic users (read, possible Ade$k Inventor users or others who maybe interested in converting). This is basic marketing 101 BS!!

Please, SW Corp, prove it!? Prove the performance enhancements of SW2007 and this file reduction based against previous versions/data? Let's see,.. say, single complex surface parts, mid level surface/solid asm's (using top/down) and large asm's with surfaces/solids (using top/down)??

Prove it. Awh, you can't can you? You see, SW Corp doesn't have to prove ANYTHING! Because, that's what marketers do, they don't have to prove anything.... until they have too and that usually means, legally.

Otherwise, it's all about bending over and taking it or, getting on your knees and being a shill?

..

Reply to
Paul Salvador

I read the Microsoft Knowledge Base article and don't see any reference to reducing file sizes. It does say that "the storage object may be corrupted" if the error occurs which, I assume, this hot fix is supposed to correct. Does anyone know what is really going on here?

Jerry Steiger

Snip good information

Paul,

The SolidWorks Knowledge Base article does say that it won't reduce file sizes for all files and specifically mentions that it is most likely to reduce file size on files with many configurations. They also don't make any claims as to how big the file size reduction will be.

Given your results, I'm not about to rush to download the hot fix.

Has anyone else tried it and got results to share?

Jerry Steiger

I gave this a try on my largest part 322 megs, 10 configurations, the hot fix reduced the size (by) 120 megs. Works for me :-) at least on that part.

Mike Eckstein

Reply to
Michael Eckstein

Whoa horsey, I just rechecked that file size and it looks like it has ballooned back to its original size. I had been working with it this afternoon, jumping around the configs etc, but nothing to add file size. Back to 320 megs. Oh Well! :-(

Mike

Reply to
Michael Eckstein

Hi, could anyone post a link to download the hotfix, because i don't have subscription to customer portal, thank you

Reply to
marianoflotron

I don't know about the specific effects of the mentioned HOT Fix; however, you may want to make note of the typical behavior of SolidWorks itself:

For example, check the size of a file you have been work> >> "take the garbage out, dear"

Reply to
POH

Yes Jerry, I noticed that too, along with this troubling statement directly from the MS bulletin...

"This problem only occurs on FAT file systems. For example, flash drives frequently use the FAT file system. This problem does not occur on FAT32 or NTFS file systems."

I really wonder if this is a smoke and mirror thing. Don't know what there motives might be but I added the hotfix and then restored back because it meant nothing for me either. If anything it added time to my rebuild and save times with sp2.0/2.1.

If any certified MS MVP's frequent this group or anyone knows one that can be asked it sure would be nice to hear from them on this...

- Eddy

Reply to
Eddy Hicks

hotfixed seemed to work so far for me.

brought a 980mb file down to 67mb.

Reply to
toreadorxlt

Let us know itf it stays down. For me the files started to bloat again when I start making changes. Although I only saw a 30% reduction to begin with, not a 90%!!

Mike

Reply to
Michael Eckstein

It was a fairly complex surface model file. Half of the tree was supressed, and the 900mbish was with shadow data. Either way, the folder I had for that paticular project was 9gb. After the hotfix, I ctrl-Q'd and saved a few of the largest files in that folder. It brought the folder size down to under 6gb.

I added a few features onto the file that I had good results with, and the file size is staying down so far.

Reply to
toreadorxlt