minimize dxf files

Hi there,

How can i minimize dxf files, files from 500 kb resize to 100 kb or less.

thanxs

Backslash

Reply to
Slash

HiHO; ZIP it up...

Reply to
bestafor

Ever heard of WinZip?

Reply to
designer

Aou can use winzip. It shrinks dxf files to approx. 10 %

bob.at

Reply to
bob.at

and if you need something to run from a command line or shell find GZIP or an old copy of PKZIP.

Reply to
Eldon Tyrell

I know winzip, but i mean the file dxf can i resize this dxf file en use it in autocad.

Reply to
Slash

And everybody misses the point..

You can export your dxf as 'ENTITIES ONLY'. There is a check box in the save as dxf dialog. It lets you select what should go in the dxf. It makes the file a lot smaller. Make sure you explode and purge any blocks first.

Jeannette

Jeannette aa6jh Bristol 32, San Francisco

jeannette

txs Jeannette,

i must get the dxf below the 100 kb for a cnc -machine bye

Ron

"jeannette" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
Slash

Does this make any real difference if you want to select all the drawing? I've just tried it and got

293,697 bytes standard dxf save 292,750 bytes select objects dxf save ????

Reply to
designer

Hi, You can try to save it DXF binary format. To do this type in dxfout. On the dailog box select >TOOLS>OPTION>DXF OPTION>BINARY

The output dxf file is much smaller and stable. Good Luck

Reply to
Tahimik

The question is, will the cnc machine be able to read binary DXFs.

If I had a cnc machine that reads DXF and I can't get the filesize below a certain limit, I think I would try and load the cnc data directly, maybe that is more compact. Maybe not. Worth a try I guess.

hth, Cut-throat Jake

Reply to
Cut-throat Jake

That;'s a good plan.

I would also suggest to try different DXF version. Also, set all properties to BYLAYER so you don't store them in each entity (assuming you have got a lot of entities).

Slash, what version DXF does the cnc machine read? Would you send me a sample per emaill (get rid of the space in the address), I am more than happy to play with it for a bit.

hth, Jake

Reply to
Cut-throat Jake

the dxf file, i need it only for the picture on de cnc -software

"Cut-throat Jake" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
Slash

You've lost me now. What picture? Is that like a thumbnail? If that is so, you can randomly erase a few entities.

Reply to
Cut-throat Jake

"Cut-throat Jake" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

hi,

uh how must i explane ? mmm, uh its a drawing of a profile (to make doors and windows). i use the picture for the man behind the cam machine, so he knows how to put the profile on the machine. i use autocad lt 2002, i dont see in the dxfoutbox any enities.

please dont leave me hanging

Ron (dutch explaning my english)

Reply to
Slash

ok, do you have a new picture for each new cnc program? or do you have categories of profiles and and what you need is a picture for each category?

Say you have 200 cnc programs. How many pictures will you have? Does the picture show what is going to be cut?

Write in Dutch if it's easier. I'll make some sense out of it.

Cut-throat Jake

Reply to
Cut-throat Jake