Re: Locking a drawing

>Cool! I don't do anything remotely related to "facility maintenance" so >it's great to hear the residential work I do effects that field! > >A friend of mine is a painter and never once has anyone thought that when >they commissioned him they'd be getting his paints and brushes in addition >to the finished painting. > >Also keep in mind (you might want to re-read my post) that I never give out >CAD files for residential work (90%+ of my work). However, as I said, some >times on commercial projects I will: "where subs might need the CAD drawing >(i.e. a restaurant where the Kitchen Equipment Supplier needs a CAD file to >use for their drawings)." > >I the client is a homeowner or builder, there's absolutely no need for them >to have the CAD file, and no good can ever come of it. If the >homeowner/builder is having all their built-ins and cabinets custom made I'd >consider it (a lot of my job do have custom cabinetry in them and nobody's >ever asked for CAD files). That would fall under the "subs might need the >CAD drawing" similar to a commercial project. That's never happened in the >5+ years and 300+ projects I've done but hey, I'd consider it if it did. >What does happen occasionally is that the custom cabinet shop will send me >their CAD file, so that I can incorporate their drawings directly into the >CD set. > >Giving out drawing files IME/IMO is just asking for trouble and is best not >done unless absolutely necessary. > >HTH, > >Michael (LS) >

Asking for the paints and brushes in your example would be like asking for your copy of AutoCAD when you deliver the drawings. They are just the tools. It is interesting how everyone takes ownership of things. When you work for large companies they take ownership of every idea you have. In small companies such as yours they take ownership of what they were asked to produce. It still boils down to whoever paid for it should have written that into the contract. If they did not then it's yours. If they did then it's theirs. I have worked on it both ways. I do know that the largest engineering firm in Kansas City (I won't blister my mouth by saying their name) has dismissed contractors who do not give them the cad file. In fact, I believe every large engineering firm in Kansas City requires a copy of the cad file. On the other hand they will not give out one to the client unless it is in the contract to do so. I guess the contract rules all and if it isn't written out then it is up for agrument.

Reply to
Dog