Re: New Versions of AutoCAD

Reply to
Brian Spillane

take this for what it is worth

I have trained several Acad people on MicroStation and while it may be difficult to believe, without exception the people who I have trained, who have gone on to spend over a month in full MicroStation production have no desire to return to Acad

Don't get me wrong, there is a huge difference in the Acad vs. Microstation thought process, and it is very difficult to get over this

this is not meant to be a challenge but just something to think about-

set down 2 comparably experienced MicroStation and Acad users, side by side on equal, dual monitor machines, give them Acad and MicroStation fresh out of the box, a sample drawing exercise and then start the clock ticking if you see better results with Acad then stick with it, if not then seriously consider your results and the implications to your productivity

also give them the same exercise in advance and let them work it on their customized installations- again consider your results

look at the cost differences, level of support, upgrade/format issues and most importantly consider the fact that MicroStation has full Acad compatibility built into it, offering full version- saveas back to Acad 2.6

like I said, take it for what it is worth- if you choose to work in Acad and it works for you then more power to you but keep in mind there might be a better way of doing things.

I don't work for Bentley (I know it sounds like I do but I don't really give a shit about that)- it just that I have enjoyed the product and support for several years now and thought I'd pass that experience on

peace out

t.

Reply to
Thomas Gnauck

Microstation

Reply to
CW

I'm not sure liked it is the proper term, but accepted it and successfully used it, and got to where I been corrupted so I can't use a competing product. It also is the Autodesk product I learned cad with and have yet to update it. Maybe it should be said I don't do much cad work these days and if I did there's a good chance it wouldn't be with an Autodesk product.

Doug T

TomD wrote:

Reply to
Doug T

My introduction to AutoCAD was Ver. 13, with the c4 patch, in 1995. I used it only in MSDOS. It never crashed or had any problems. I never got an error message. Printing wasn't a problem, as I had an MSDOS printer driver for use in AutoCAD. Autocad has moved on, but I miss Ver. 13.

Reply to
JACK Goldstein

Thomas, you must include the discipline be equal.

Most of my training from either was how to draw circle, lines, arcs, text, (little) dimensioning, and even less plotting. I can't plot today without experimenting first/many.

When my group got serious about training the focus when how we used the software, not the other way around.

Any user worth is weight has some customization. (Profiles/Workspace)

Yes I have used Microstation from ver 4 through SE. I even like 90+% with this exception, working units. The 'Peg Hole Theory' limits me. On the other hand the ability for Microstation to reference itself within model space was an advantage for us at that time.

I agree.

W. Kirk Crawford Rochester Hills, Michigan

Thomas Gnauck wrote:

Reply to
W. Kirk Crawford

Tom,

Then that is why people have the subscription plan. Patches? Just got to fix those upgrades.

W. Kirk Crawford Rochester Hills, Michigan

TomD wrote:

Reply to
W. Kirk Crawford