Re: New Versions of AutoCAD

wrote:

Maybe he found the solution while he was thinking about his problem :)
SCNR Joachim
But his problem in the first place IS MicroStation! I have to use it occasionally and DO NOT LIKE IT ! no speed keys, too many clicks, give me any version of AutoCad tyvm B

take this for what it is worth
I have trained several Acad people on MicroStation and while it may be difficult to believe, without exception the people who I have trained, who have gone on to spend over a month in full MicroStation production have no desire to return to Acad
Don't get me wrong, there is a huge difference in the Acad vs. Microstation thought process, and it is very difficult to get over this
this is not meant to be a challenge but just something to think about-
set down 2 comparably experienced MicroStation and Acad users, side by side on equal, dual monitor machines, give them Acad and MicroStation fresh out of the box, a sample drawing exercise and then start the clock ticking if you see better results with Acad then stick with it, if not then seriously consider your results and the implications to your productivity
also give them the same exercise in advance and let them work it on their customized installations- again consider your results
look at the cost differences, level of support, upgrade/format issues and most importantly consider the fact that MicroStation has full Acad compatibility built into it, offering full version- saveas back to Acad 2.6
like I said, take it for what it is worth- if you choose to work in Acad and it works for you then more power to you but keep in mind there might be a better way of doing things.
I don't work for Bentley (I know it sounds like I do but I don't really give a shit about that)- it just that I have enjoyed the product and support for several years now and thought I'd pass that experience on
peace out
t.

I would believe it. I have done the same with Turbocad. Once familiar with the program, they often don't want to switch back. What it really comes down to is that you can't proclaim a cad program to be the best. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. Personal style, work habits and type of work being done all influence whether a cad program works for you or not. I, after several years of using Turbocad, had to use AutoCAD for about a year. I now prefer it for 2D work. For 3D, it's back to Turbocad.

Thomas, you must include the discipline be equal.
Most of my training from either was how to draw circle, lines, arcs, text, (little) dimensioning, and even less plotting. I can't plot today without experimenting first/many.
When my group got serious about training the focus when how we used the software, not the other way around.
Any user worth is weight has some customization. (Profiles/Workspace)
Yes I have used Microstation from ver 4 through SE. I even like 90+% with this exception, working units. The 'Peg Hole Theory' limits me. On the other hand the ability for Microstation to reference itself within model space was an advantage for us at that time.
I agree.
W. Kirk Crawford Rochester Hills, Michigan
Thomas Gnauck wrote: <Snip>

<Snip>

read
Give me the same latitude, if you would.
<SNIPPED here and there>

If I had to guess, I'd say they feel it would hurt the sales of Inventor. Then again, I'm sticking to my believe that the 'vertical market' was the WORST thing they could have ever done.

Why keep upgrading, then? I make my decisions to upgrade based on functionality and cost. If it's not worth it, I don't do it.
Tom,
Then that is why people have the subscription plan. Patches? Just got to fix those upgrades.
W. Kirk Crawford Rochester Hills, Michigan
<Snip> TomD wrote:

<Snip>