New Autocad

So my problem is: I haven't needed AutoCAD since AC2000. I have upgraded my OS to Win XP - from Win2K. XP does not support AC2000. I didn't know that when I changed to XP a few years ago. Now I need to get back to the drawing board.

I have been looking at the new versions of AutoCAD - 2007 & 2008. Neither of them seems to have the features I want - sketch, parametric dimensions to make the sketch the right size, extrude to make it a solid. All that good stuff.

Which - if any - AC product is the latest version of 2000 or will let me do what I need to do?

Mike

Reply to
Mike Lubov

I have been looking at the new versions of AutoCAD - 2007 & 2008. Neither of them seems to have the features I want - sketch, parametric dimensions to make the sketch the right size, extrude to make it a solid. All that good stuff.

Which - if any - AC product is the latest version of 2000 or will let me do what I need to do?

Mike

Reply to
Mason

We switched from Win 2000 Pro sp/4 to XP Pro with no problem. ACAD 2000 works with XP home & XP Pro but the new versions (2007 & up) are looking for XP Pro. ACAD has associate dimensions not parametric. Changing the part will update the dimension but changing the dimension will not update the part. You need Inventor to do that. Rudy

Reply to
Rudy Kube

Are you positive? I've seen *r14* work on XP home and pro. There's a compatibility setting that has to be done, but otherwise no problem. A2K is a problem?

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

Inventor is a fully parametric solid modeler, I've used it, Pro E and Solidworks, and I like Inventor. Not cheap, but a better value than Pro E and Solidworks, IMHO.

babygrand

Reply to
babygrand

I have been trying to A2000 set up on my XP Pro system also. I am having a memory allocation error when trying to set up my plotter. I would like to use the HP driver for the 755cm, but my desktop printers are operating useing Windows System Drivers. Is this the Compability issue you mentioned?

Reply to
RHC

No. When you run old software there's a setting in XP to get it to emulate older operating systems.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

babygrand

Reply to
Mason

Just get progeCAD 2007 Professional and save about $3500 dollars.

Reply to
ICADSales.com

Thank you all for the help.

mike

Reply to
Mike Lubov

mike

Reply to
Mason

Consider new subscription service? inventor in yearly payments is the way to go the bundle comes with inventor mdt and AutoCad it will set you back $1,250 a year comes with training and you stay up to date on latest versions every year or release? I'm in a Career mode and not working for myself yet but if i was and could afford it adt is another $350 I get sidework and having the suite to draw my millwork or mech part is great!

Reply to
DaVinci

DaVinci