New Autocad

So my problem is: I haven't needed AutoCAD since AC2000. I have upgraded my OS to Win XP - from Win2K. XP does not support AC2000. I didn't know
that when I changed to XP a few years ago. Now I need to get back to the drawing board.
I have been looking at the new versions of AutoCAD - 2007 & 2008. Neither of them seems to have the features I want - sketch, parametric dimensions to make the sketch the right size, extrude to make it a solid. All that good stuff.
Which - if any - AC product is the latest version of 2000 or will let me do what I need to do?
Mike
Inventor Pro 2008 will allows all these BUT it expensive. It also comes with AutoCAD, AutoCAD Mechanical & AutoCAD Mechanical desktop as a bundle there is also Inventor suite and inventor but I'm not sure what's in the latter two bundles.
my problem is:&nbsp; I haven't needed AutoCAD since AC2000.&nbsp; I have upgraded <BR>my OS to Win XP - from Win2K.&nbsp; XP does not support AC2000.&nbsp; I didn't know <BR>that when I changed to XP a few years ago.&nbsp; Now I need to get back to the <BR>drawing board.<BR><BR>I have been looking at the new versions of AutoCAD - 2007 &amp; 2008.&nbsp; Neither <BR>of them seems to have the features I want - sketch, parametric dimensions to <BR>make the sketch the right size, extrude to make it a solid.&nbsp; All that good <BR>stuff.<BR><BR>Which - if any - AC product is the latest version of 2000 or will let me do <BR>what I need to do?<BR><BR>Mike <BR><BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
We switched from Win 2000 Pro sp/4 to XP Pro with no problem. ACAD 2000 works with XP home & XP Pro but the new versions (2007 & up) are looking for XP Pro. ACAD has associate dimensions not parametric. Changing the part will update the dimension but changing the dimension will not update the part. You need Inventor to do that. Rudy

Are you positive? I've seen *r14* work on XP home and pro. There's a compatibility setting that has to be done, but otherwise no problem. A2K is a problem?
--

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.ca

I have been trying to A2000 set up on my XP Pro system also. I am having a memory allocation error when trying to set up my plotter. I would like to use the HP driver for the 755cm, but my desktop printers are operating useing Windows System Drivers. Is this the Compability issue you mentioned?

No. When you run old software there's a setting in XP to get it to emulate older operating systems.
--

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.ca

Just get progeCAD 2007 Professional and save about $3500 dollars.
Inventor is a fully parametric solid modeler, I've used it, Pro E and Solidworks, and I like Inventor. Not cheap, but a better value than Pro E and Solidworks, IMHO.
babygrand

I use MDT a lot at the minute and find that it is somewhere between AutoCAD and Inventor in that it has more features that "Vanilla" AutoCAD but less than inventor it is also not as flexible as inventor's I-parts that to me is one of the best things in Inventor
So my problem is:&nbsp; I haven't needed AutoCAD since AC2000.&nbsp; I have upgraded <BR>&gt; my OS to Win XP - from Win2K.&nbsp; XP does not support AC2000.&nbsp; I didn't know <BR>&gt; that when I changed to XP a few years ago.&nbsp; Now I need to get back to the <BR>&gt; drawing board.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; I have been looking at the new versions of AutoCAD - 2007 &amp; 2008.&nbsp; Neither <BR>&gt; of them seems to have the features I want - sketch, parametric dimensions <BR>&gt; to make the sketch the right size, extrude to make it a solid.&nbsp; All that <BR>&gt; good stuff.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Which - if any - AC product is the latest version of 2000 or will let me <BR>&gt; do what I need to do?<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Mike<BR>&gt; <BR><BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
Thank you all for the help.
mike

Might be worth watching the trade press to see when Autodesk have something on in your area then go along and possibly have a try.
So my problem is:&nbsp; I haven't needed AutoCAD since AC2000.&nbsp; I have upgraded <BR>&gt; my OS to Win XP - from Win2K.&nbsp; XP does not support AC2000.&nbsp; I didn't know <BR>&gt; that when I changed to XP a few years ago.&nbsp; Now I need to get back to the <BR>&gt; drawing board.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; I have been looking at the new versions of AutoCAD - 2007 &amp; 2008.&nbsp; Neither <BR>&gt; of them seems to have the features I want - sketch, parametric dimensions <BR>&gt; to make the sketch the right size, extrude to make it a solid.&nbsp; All that <BR>&gt; good stuff.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Which - if any - AC product is the latest version of 2000 or will let me <BR>&gt; do what I need to do?<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Mike<BR>&gt; <BR><BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
Consider new subscription service? inventor in yearly payments is the way to go the bundle comes with inventor mdt and AutoCad it will set you back $1,250 a year comes with training and you stay up to date on latest versions every year or release? I'm in a Career mode and not working for myself yet but if i was and could afford it adt is another $350 I get sidework and having the suite to draw my millwork or mech part is great! <-my sidework. I work in civil but thats the last thing i want to deal with in my sidework right now. From a CNC standpoint you want to use mastercam. They say the models are smoother if you need the details.Most of your prototyping machines 3d printers are fine upto inventor Then the Machinest takes over and they seem to love mastercam :)

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID 3112&id34613