New Autocad

So my problem is: I haven't needed AutoCAD since AC2000. I have upgraded
my OS to Win XP - from Win2K. XP does not support AC2000. I didn't know
that when I changed to XP a few years ago. Now I need to get back to the
drawing board.
I have been looking at the new versions of AutoCAD - 2007 & 2008. Neither
of them seems to have the features I want - sketch, parametric dimensions to
make the sketch the right size, extrude to make it a solid. All that good
stuff.
Which - if any - AC product is the latest version of 2000 or will let me do
what I need to do?
Mike
Reply to
Mike Lubov
Inventor Pro 2008 will allows all these BUT it expensive. It also comes with AutoCAD, AutoCAD Mechanical & AutoCAD Mechanical desktop as a bundle there is also Inventor suite and inventor but I'm not sure what's in the latter two bundles.
So my problem is: I haven't needed AutoCAD since AC2000. I have upgraded my OS to Win XP - from Win2K. XP does not support AC2000. I didn't know that when I changed to XP a few years ago. Now I need to get back to the drawing board.
I have been looking at the new versions of AutoCAD - 2007 & 2008. Neither of them seems to have the features I want - sketch, parametric dimensions to make the sketch the right size, extrude to make it a solid. All that good stuff.
Which - if any - AC product is the latest version of 2000 or will let me do what I need to do?
Mike
Reply to
Mason
We switched from Win 2000 Pro sp/4 to XP Pro with no problem. ACAD 2000 works with XP home & XP Pro but the new versions (2007 & up) are looking for XP Pro. ACAD has associate dimensions not parametric. Changing the part will update the dimension but changing the dimension will not update the part. You need Inventor to do that. Rudy
Reply to
Rudy Kube
Are you positive? I've seen *r14* work on XP home and pro. There's a compatibility setting that has to be done, but otherwise no problem. A2K is a problem?
Reply to
Michael Bulatovich
Inventor is a fully parametric solid modeler, I've used it, Pro E and Solidworks, and I like Inventor. Not cheap, but a better value than Pro E and Solidworks, IMHO.
babygrand
Reply to
babygrand
I have been trying to A2000 set up on my XP Pro system also. I am having a memory allocation error when trying to set up my plotter. I would like to use the HP driver for the 755cm, but my desktop printers are operating useing Windows System Drivers. Is this the Compability issue you mentioned?
Reply to
RHC
No. When you run old software there's a setting in XP to get it to emulate older operating systems.
Reply to
Michael Bulatovich
I use MDT a lot at the minute and find that it is somewhere between AutoCAD and Inventor in that it has more features that "Vanilla" AutoCAD but less than inventor it is also not as flexible as inventor's I-parts that to me is one of the best things in Inventor
Inventor is a fully parametric solid modeler, I've used it, Pro E and Solidworks, and I like Inventor. Not cheap, but a better value than Pro E and Solidworks, IMHO.
babygrand
Reply to
Mason
Just get progeCAD 2007 Professional and save about $3500 dollars.
Reply to
ICADSales.com
Thank you all for the help.
mike
Reply to
Mike Lubov
Might be worth watching the trade press to see when Autodesk have something on in your area then go along and possibly have a try.
Thank you all for the help.
mike
Reply to
Mason
Consider new subscription service? inventor in yearly payments is the way to go the bundle comes with inventor mdt and AutoCad it will set you back $1,250 a year comes with training and you stay up to date on latest versions every year or release? I'm in a Career mode and not working for myself yet but if i was and could afford it adt is another $350 I get sidework and having the suite to draw my millwork or mech part is great!
Reply to
DaVinci

DaVinci