Trim Command

I have an ellipse drawn with a line through the centre. I want to trim one side of the ellipse but it just won't happen. I have drawn other similar objects in the same window and have been able to modify them using the Trim command without a problem. Any suggestions? Thanks, Mal

Reply to
Mal

Does the line intersect the ellipse at TWO POINTS? It has to.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

I have sometimes had that problem with 2002. You could try the line again or you could use the break command to break the ellipse at the points where it crosses the line.

I think there are a few anomilies and bugs still left in AutoCAD. Such as the one at my college we were all using that made some kind of general fault when you started to 3D orbit something.

Reply to
Richard Hawley

Bet you were using Windows 98. The orbit problem is not a bug in autocad, Win. 98 can't handle it.

Reply to
CW

I saw ORBIT work on win98/2002. (I'm positive.)

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

Try trimming the same part twice. Since A2000 I often find that ellipses don't trim properly the first time (as if there were two ellipses one on top of the other).

John B

johnbogie btinternet.com Put the "at" in the gap.

Reply to
john

It was Windows 2000 NT as it was a networked room. The problem was intermittant but when the terminals crashed and closed down, you could take safe bets that it would happen just as you were orbitting an object. And the files were unrecoverable.

After that I tended to start saving after every major part of my drawing instead of every ten minutes, although I saw it happen to someone who had just completed a drawing for their assessment without periodical saves. Nasty.

There's a lesson there for all of us regardless of experience!

Reply to
Richard Hawley

Try setting PELLISPE to 1.

That is your ellipse will be a pline not a true ellispe.

Terry

Reply to
Terry Rawkins

Try listing both the ellipse and the line. Make sure that they've both got the same "z" value. Your situation sounds very like the line (or the ellipse) may have been "lifted up," meaning that the two objects *don't* intersect, even if though they appear to.

I once had an entire house drawing (plans, sections, elevations) where that had happened. For about two weeks it was a passable definition of purgatory :-(

That was untill I discovered the "qselect command" ;-)

Hope this helps. DJE

Reply to
Daniel J. Ellis