Replace command

rel 2001 Intralink 3.2

Some comments about the 'Replace' command:-

Drawings:

If I modify a drawing in Workspace - for example I change some Intralink parameters for the Title Block - and it is already in session in Proe, Proe fails to recognise it has changed, for the 'Replace' command reports all objects are up to date. Regens don't change this status. I have found I have to delete the drawing from session and open it up again.

Assemblies:

If I have an assembly in session in Proe, and I do an Intralink change (normally fliename change to formalise it prior to issue), then do a Replace command, Proe will update the objects in session. If I do the Replace command again it reports all objects are up to date. This is incorrect. For if I do a Regen, followed by a Replace, it finds more files to replace afterwards! I can go through this Replace/Regen iteration a number of times before all the objects in session are up to date. Why can't rhe regen command do it's own regens until it detects no differences?

I have been told never to use the replace command, but rather erase everything from session and re-open it after the changes. This is cumbersome. If I want to change just one Intralink parameter or rename one file I must close down the entire assembly? Then what is the Replace command for?

Reply to
dakeb

To do what you seem to be trying, involving Pro/e and Intralink, I've used 'File>Check in>Auto checkin' (gets the change registered in Intalink/Oracle), then use 'File>Update>Current' to replace what's in memory with what's on disk and in Intralink. Then, particularly with drawings, do a 'View>Update View>All sheets'. This latter gets everything agreeing, all the parameter values synced in models, assemblies and formats. Intralink, especially, seems to like this way of doing things.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

Intalink/Oracle), then

I think the replace command you refer to for replacing components in assemblies is the one under component/adv utilities? I'm referring to the File/Replace command which checks the files in session against those in Intralink for differences. If the file in Intralink is different, it overwrites the part in Proe with it.

Come to think of it, the File/Save Changed command works in a similar way, and will always report Drawings as needing to be saved. Even if you just saved the drawing. It saves all drawings by default. This tells me that Proe/Ilink doesn't have a clue how to compare drawing files.

I think those commands File/Checkin/Autocheckin and File/Update/current must be only in WF, cos they're not in Proe 2001.

Reply to
dakeb

: "dakeb" wrote : > "David Janes" wrote : > : "dakeb" wrote : > : rel 2001 Intralink 3.2 : > : : > : Some comments about the 'Replace' command:- : > : : > : Drawings: : > : : > : If I modify a drawing in Workspace - for example I change some Intralink : > : parameters for the Title Block - and it is already in session in Proe, : Proe : > : fails to recognise it has changed, for the 'Replace' command reports all : > : objects are up to date. Regens don't change this status. I have found I : have : > : to delete the drawing from session and open it up again. : > : : > : Assemblies: : > : : > : If I have an assembly in session in Proe, and I do an Intralink change : > : (normally fliename change to formalise it prior to issue), then do a : Replace : > : command, Proe will update the objects in session. If I do the Replace : > : command again it reports all objects are up to date. This is incorrect. : For : > : if I do a Regen, followed by a Replace, it finds more files to replace : > : afterwards! I can go through this Replace/Regen iteration a number of : times : > : before all the objects in session are up to date. Why can't rhe regen : > : command do it's own regens until it detects no differences? : > : : > : I have been told never to use the replace command, but rather erase : > : everything from session and re-open it after the changes. This is : > : cumbersome. If I want to change just one Intralink parameter or rename : one : > : file I must close down the entire assembly? Then what is the Replace : command : > : for? : > : : > I guess I've never tried to use Replace for anything but replacing : components in : > assemblies. Maybe you should be able to 'replace' your current component : with its : > updated self, but Pro/e generally says, comparing your model to another, : 'better' : > one on disk/Intralink/etc that 'hey, I've got one of those already', : comparing on : > the crudest level, possibly only file names. : >

: > To do what you seem to be trying, involving Pro/e and Intralink, I've used : > 'File>Check in>Auto checkin' (gets the change registered in : Intalink/Oracle), then : > use 'File>Update>Current' to replace what's in memory with what's on disk : and in : > Intralink. Then, particularly with drawings, do a 'View>Update View>All : sheets'. : > This latter gets everything agreeing, all the parameter values synced in : models, : > assemblies and formats. Intralink, especially, seems to like this way of : doing : > things. : >

: : I think the replace command you refer to for replacing components in : assemblies is the one under component/adv utilities? I'm referring to the : File/Replace command which checks the files in session against those in : Intralink for differences. If the file in Intralink is different, it : overwrites the part in Proe with it. : : Come to think of it, the File/Save Changed command works in a similar way, : and will always report Drawings as needing to be saved. Even if you just : saved the drawing. It saves all drawings by default. This tells me that : Proe/Ilink doesn't have a clue how to compare drawing files. : : I think those commands File/Checkin/Autocheckin and File/Update/current must : be only in WF, cos they're not in Proe 2001. : Yeah, you're right. The only Intralink I've seen recently is 3.3 with Wildfire. But there's no more File>Replace. I suspect that somebody finally figured out that having two commands called Replace wasn't such a bright idea. I also suspect that File>Update is what replaced the Intralink Replace.

Have you messed around with any of the config.pro settings that purport to govern save behavior? I can't think of any that explain the goofy incremental save business, but I can think of some that might do funny things with drawings. For instance, if you set save_drawing_picture_file to embedded, any drawing you even opened that didn't have a snapshot within it would be saved to capture the preview picture. Other options, like save_objects set to changed_and_updated, could have an effect such as you are viewing. Others, like save_modified_draw_models_only, if changed from yes to no, could cause drawings to be saved when they hadn't been previously. Then there are the options that work together to change save behavior, like propagate_change_to_parents which works with save_objects to determine whether parents objects get saved when their children do.

All in all, it's pretty complicated, even without Intralink getting thrown into the mix and then there are additional options that govern how Pro/e's save behavior reponds to it's presence. But, between the two, I can't really tell who's in charge or which options are responsible for the goofy save behavior. When I want to find out if it's a config.pro option, maybe something I changed that has some unintended consequence, I'll rename it, let the system load its defaults and see if that clears up the problem. If that doesn't fix it, I can look elsewhere than config.pro settings. I am also convinced that Intralink is determining things in the background of which I am only dimly aware, especially regarding how things get saved. Maybe it's time to talk to your Intralink admin.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

save_modified_draw_models_only, if

determining things

Thanks David.

It's too complicated and too time consuming to try out all these config file options.

I think it's about time PTC made the setup files in proe more user-friendly rather than programmer-friendly.

Reply to
dakeb