2007 not starting!

Just installed Acad2007 and after a reboot the program is not starting. A check of the Task Manager shows an Acad.exe process, AdMigrator.exe and AdskCleanup.000 running with the AdMigrator.exe using 99 percent of the CPU cycles. Is this a one time thing (1st start) or is my install hosed?

Running on Win2k pro, 1gb ram, Athlon 54 3400, Pny Quadro fx500

Thanks

Reply to
Not Necessarily Me

Is Win2K up to date? Is IE up to date? All of the Autodesk 2007 products require up to date Windows components. Ignore the "Minimum Requirements" as stated on the web site. I do tech support and I can tell you that ACAD 2007 is going to be flakey on Win2k. It is really made to run on Win XP Pro SP2. That is because it needs and tries to load .NET 2.0. That component will not install correctly if the OS is not up to date. Your best bet would be to put it on a Win XP Pro SP2 PC that is totally up to date. And I don't mean Win XP Home. The "Home" in the name pretty aptly describes the capability of the OS.

Reply to
dstockton

Reply to
SteveK

JG has missed the point. While he may be running AutoCAD successfully on his little home network, in a corporate environment it causes nothing but problems. XP Home is meant for exactly that, home. I do tech support for a living, supporting both Microsoft and Autodesk products. I have managed up to 80 AutoCAD users and their workstations in one company that migrated from Windows 2000 to XP. One idiot in IT even suggested we use Home on certain workstations just to save a few bucks. He doesn't work there anymore, not just because of that stupid suggestion, but many more. In a work environment with a network Home will be nothing but problems. A small peer to peer network works for up to three people. Add more than one print device and problems ensue. Count on one of those machines to be a file server and you get more problems. If you keep your client files on your local hard drive you better be backing up frequently, because you will eventually lose that hard drive. That is why Pro has all those features that Home does not. Pro allow you set up a domain. Servers are cheap and domains are pretty simple to set up. Now JG may start the old tired rant about Microsoft downgrading Home just to be able to charge more for Pro. People can cry all they want, the prices are what they are. If you want a good running CAD workstation on a network you have to have Pro. I get many calls from Autodesk clients that try to run their Autodesk products on Home and have nothing but problems. Most of these have to do with the fact that their "Home" computer is being used for too many other things that it shouldn't, like AIM, games, photo editing, email, internet. Autodesk products have become resource intensive. Most people that have XP Home on their PC have done so to save a few bucks over the price of really good workstation and pay the price in performance because they want to do everything on that one machine. Autodesk products will not work optimally in that type of setup. And a business should not be set up that way.

Reply to
dstockton

Jeff,

See if you're running into the same problem that I am, I am settings up a user with AC2007 and its not starting in his account. But if I create another account on the computer it will start up just fine in that user account.

Perhaps its a registry problem with that one user.

-Tucker

Reply to
rallymaster23