ACAD2007/2008 cut & paste

We have both ACAD & SW here and both are used for their own purposes. But we also have to share info back and forth and it has always been a simple task to highlight some sketch entities in ACAD and then paste those entities into a SW sketch. However, we have found that with ACAD 2007 or 2008, when the sketch entities are pasted into a SW sketch in either SW2007 or SW2008 they come in as one OLE drawing object, which is junk, not as the sketch entities.

I think the testing we have done back and forth has narrowed it down to a change in the ACAD environment. My reasoning is because I can use DWG editor to open an ACAD 2007 file, highlight the desired entities, copy to the clipboard, and paste into SW2008 as we used to do with ACAD 2006. Or I can tell SW to open the ACAD file directly and it works.

So the question is, has anyone figured out what's going on? Is there a way in ACAD 2007/2008 to tell it to copy just the entities as it used to do?

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

I had the same issue awhile back, when we upgrade autocad, it didn't copy and paste no more, I asked around but no one new about it because they didn't copy and paste from autocad to solidworks, just didn't use that feature, so I had to stop using it to since I didn't really know what happened. It would be nice to know the limits, version compatibility, between autocad and solidworks with the copy/paste functionality. One idea I never tried was to open the drawings file dwg in SolidWorks dwg editor and copy and paste from that, but it would be a pain to open it again in another program just to copy and paste. Might as well block it out and just insert an autocad block in your drawing, what I a do every time now, and it can be linked, so its an alright alternative.

Reply to
Joe Sloppy

I have the same problem trying copy and paste out of Autocad LT 2007. Both of you probably know what I just stumbled on: Autocad drawings can be drug in from the library as a block. Very helpful since what I was trying to do was revolve cut a hydraulic valve cartridge that was drawn in Autocad.

Reply to
Brad

I would use the WriteBlock command in AutoCAD to create dwg files from each sketch entity I wanted to use in SW.

Bob

Reply to
<castlebravo242

Reply to
rwwink

I agree and which is what you would think is the root cause. However, if you open the same DWG file with DWG Editor to cut and paste out of there, it works fine. Which suggests that it's not the ACAD2007 file format, but the ACAD2007 environment that is loading the clipboard.

WT.

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Interesting. I just tried several times to drag a DWG file into SW from the Design Library and it crashed SW every time. I tried a variety of methods - part, drawing, sketch, etc. Crash hard every time. The only time it didn't crash was when I didn't have a document open in SW so it started that wizard.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

stuff pasted to the clipboard is an ole