Derived Components??

Don't know what it's called in SW but in Inventor they have something callled "derived components" in the part envirnoment.

where you can bring in another part to work from, and like "convert entities" etc

where is this in SW?

_________________

SW 2008 sp2.1

Reply to
Chris Darwin

Insert/Part..

Reply to
zxys

I don't want it to be part of the solid, just to use it for reference geometry or like cut operations.

Reply to
Chris Darwin

Assembly is another option depending upon exactly what you are looking to accomplish.

Mate the reference part to the one your working on & edit the part right there in the assembly.

Tom

Reply to
brewertr

When you use the insert/part in a cut/add/intersect boolean operation, the body(s) will be consumed/absorbed into the feature operation. Otherwise, after you use/select whatever entities need from you insert/ part,.. you can RMB (right mouse button) over the solid or surface data in the FM (feature manager) or solid/surface folders and there you can either delete or hide the bodies. In 2008, they FINALLY (man, like forever and a freaking day!) introduced sketch and plane sharing in the Transfer box so, if a sketch or plane is all you need, that is another option. =2E.

Reply to
zxys

Just to add,.. you can position and mate insert/parts and bodies almost like in a assembly,.. then, there is no assembly file to deal with.

=2E.

Reply to
zxys

Jon,

Another method was suggested, I simply made one possible alternative suggestion based upon limited input from the OP and CLEARLY stated so. I did not say it was the best way or the only way just another possibility based upon what the OP was doing.

"Assembly is another option depending upon exactly what you are looking to accomplish." -brewertr-

Easy to see why you dropped out of high school and never went back. It's also easy to see why you choose videos as your preferred learning tool, you can't comprehend what you read.

Tom

Reply to
brewertr

No you don't, dickwad. You get a part inserted into another part. You only get multibodis if theere is alsready geometry in the part.

Daisy.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
ChamberPot

I don't know all these people, and I very seldom respond.. but I will apologize for the idiots..

Not sure if you know of it, but cncz> Don't know what it's called in SW but in Inventor they have something

Reply to
tnik