term for opposite/back side of a surface

I am attempting to find a term for the opposite or the back side of a surface.

Typical terms for a: horizontal surface are top and bottom or "on top" and underneath, vertical surface are front and back, and for a nautical surface are windward and leeward.

Does anyone know if there is a proper term that would describe the opposite side of a flat surface, without regard to the surface's orientation or whether it is horizontally or vertically situated?

Maybe primary and secondary would work but there should be a better term.

I have attempted to find the newsgroups with the highest degree of relativity for this question, mainly knowledge in mechanical engineering and drafting, and I apologize if this is off topic for the newsgroup.

Thank you very much for your help.

Reply to
Loading thread data ...

The usual term on mechanical drawings is "FAR SIDE". For example, the callout for a blind hole on the opposite side of a plate from that in a drawing view might be, "1/2-13 UNC-2B X .75 DP MIN, FAR SIDE".

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

OK, that is good. I was not aware of that one. That will prove helpful in another area, thank you. In a mechanical drawing, the object's orientation is predetermined and fixed. I am working to describe a base unit with a threaded pipe that will extend down through a flat surface like a tabletop or countertop and will be securely fastened from underneath by a nut. For a tabletop or countertop, the term "underneath" can be easily used, yet this same base with a threaded pipe could be similarly attached to a wall, in which case the description would be "fastened from the (far side) with a nut". Is there a term that could be used to describe both situations, for a horizontal tabletop or a vertical wall?

For further clarification, this is for a Pro Se patent application I am working on. My background is a navy ship (submarine) mechanic with a formal education in computer science. From your example description, I can recall [1/2" diameter, 13 threads/inch, universal course, .75" depth minimum].

For the independent claim, I currently have the phrase "... a downward-extended means, possessing fastening threads and a corresponding nut, for securely fastening said base to a surface." This phrase will work well since a further clarification of "for securely fastening said base from underneath the surface" may unnecessarily limit the scope of the claim. It would be interesting to know how to properly write this for both a horizontal and vertical surface though and this is why I ask.

Again, thank you very much.

Reply to

"Far Side" works equally well for both horizontal and vertical. It means "Not on the side you are viewing"

Reply to
Bob Morrison

Then that is exactly what I needed to know. I thank both of you very much for your help and clarification.

Reply to

Just thought, maybe Flipside !?

Reply to

My ancient drafting textbook (circa 1970), and all the prints I've ever seen or drawn, use "Opposite Side", or "Opp Side", to specify the side directly opposite whatever is shown in any particular view.

A simple example would be a thick plate I use for a machine base. It has 6 tapped holes on top, and 4 larger tapped holes in the bottom for the leveling screws. I draw the plate in top view, and specifiy the top holes as:

1/4-20 UNC-2B TAP .75 DP. (6) HOLES

In the same view, I show the bottom holes as hidden lines, and call them out as follows:


I've never had a machinist or a machine shop misunderstand the specs, or even call me to ask me what I meant. And when I worked as a machinist, many years ago, I was expected to understand too.

Hope this helps!


birdpup wrote:

Reply to
Kirk Gordon

Obverse and reverse.

Reply to
Brian Salt

For a sheet of paper, the trem "verso" is often used to denote the reverse side.

Reply to
Olin Perry Norton

When dealing with cons, "Obverse" is the front, while "Reverse" is the back.


Reply to

PolyTech Forum website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.