Sanford SG 48 Surface Grinder Info Needed

Hi All,

I recently bought a small bench top Sanford Surface Grinder, model SG 48. I believe this is the smallest model they made at the time. It came withou t a motor or bracket for mounting the motor. Would any of you have a sense of how the motor should mount and what the RPM of the motor should be. Fr om the literature I downloaded it seems the motor mounted somehow on the ba ck of the machine, but there are no photos that I could find. Does the mot or move vertically with turning of the hand wheel? Any help would be great ly appreciated.

Thanks, Al

Reply to
monmouthcenter

Yes, the motor moves with the vertical feed handwheel. There are slots to allow adjustment so the belt tension is correct.

I've just photograped mine (which needs more cleaning after a fire last year -- at least back on the motor side).

Here are two views from the back:

Look like it will be a fun job to fabricate without a casting, especially the curve which hugs the motor OD.

3450 RPM, 1/6 HP single phase 110 VAC.

From what I have been told, you get a smoother grind finish with a three phase motor, powered by true three phase (e.g. from a VFD).

While you are about it, back up one level in the URL:

and you can download a scan of what may be the last manual sent out by they before they closed. (Along with some flyers.) Note that it is quite slow to view, so best if you download the full PDF file and view it locally.

PDF page 11 (no printed page number) has photos of many of the parts, with 19 at the top being the motor bracket.

There is also a section on how I re-wired the power supply in the base for the electric magnetic clutch.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

try

Not a good photo but gives an indication of how the motor mounts.

Reply to
John B.

Here is a copy of the manual I came across

John B.

On Thursday, March 27, 2014 at 9:47:35 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote :

I believe this is the smallest model they made at the time. It came with out a motor or bracket for mounting the motor. Would any of you have a sen se of how the motor should mount and what the RPM of the motor should be. From the literature I downloaded it seems the motor mounted somehow on the back of the machine, but there are no photos that I could find. Does the m otor move vertically with turning of the hand wheel? Any help would be gre atly appreciated.

Al would you be interested in selling the grinder?

Reply to
z14jc1

[ ... ]

What are the doos that he is still reading this newsgroup? Note that his posting was close to a year ago, and he may have found his answer and left.

It would appear that you are reading this in googlegroups, not in the original usenet where the article was actually posted back when. Googlegroups keeps articles around a lot longer than most news severs do, so we get the occasional response to an ancient article -- sometimes closer to 10 years old or so. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Any updated link for the sg48 manual?! The one above is broken.

Reply to
Sub

Haven't seen anything from DoN in a long time. Even then he was quite elderly :(

It seems you may be able to use the Wayback Machine and get it here:

Leon Fisk
Re: Sanford SG 48 Surface Grinder Info Needed open original image

OH MY GOSH, I didnt know htat existed. I retrieved it! Thank you so much..

Do we still have any sg-48 folks in here? I'm about to try and get mine working. I'm looking for a new flat belt now. I'm attaching a pic of my newly acquired unit. Its chromed out - not sure if thats factory or not. model # is 47-1198. Is this a 1998 model? That must have been right at the end of production I think?!

Reply to
Sub