cute surface grinder Sanford

We had some more snow today, but I got out and drove 30 miles to buy a benc h top surface grinder. I was overly cautious and took my wife's Subaru ins tead of my picbup. So have to drive down again to pick it up. Going to be a pain to get it out of the basement. The man selling it is 87 and not ab le to help load.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

And where are the pictures?

Reply to
Ignoramus16281

I have not got it home, but should be able to take some pictures soon.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

I wanna know how he screwed up and got his wife's car into the guy's basement. The pics oughta be fun.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Which size Sanford? Mine is a little benchtop one, about 4x8" IIRC. They did have optional floor-standing bases, but this one could be lifted into the car with some difficulty. Easier to lift from the car and onto a workbench of the same height. (At least, some years ago. I'm not sure that I could lift it now. :-) (This was from the back of a Mazda Navajo -- equivalent to a Ford SUV of the same period.)

And the table lifts off, so you can remove its weight, and the weight of the mag chuck for a separate carry.

Does yours have the electro-magnetic chuck or a permanent magnet chuck? They advise in the manual to not use coolant with the EM chuck, and having traced out the circuit used to power it, I can see why. :-)

And let me know if you need a manual for it. I think that I may have gotten the last one before the company shut down.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

This is about the size you describe. It has the electromagnetic chuck and the seller showed me how the table lifts off. I am also buying the table i t is mounted on so that will speed things up as far as getting it in opera tion. It comes with a small selection of wheels including one diamond one.

I googled around and found a manual on line, but may take you up on the man ual depending on what the model number it is.

It seems to be in really good shape. The seller did gun smithing so I woul d expect it would not have gotten a lot of use. But even less use because he had a floor model surface grinder in addition to this one. He said he u sed the floor model grinder most of the time.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

We had some more snow today, but I got out and drove 30 miles to buy a bench top surface grinder. I was overly cautious and took my wife's Subaru instead of my picbup. So have to drive down again to pick it up. Going to be a pain to get it out of the basement. The man selling it is 87 and not able to help load.

Dan If it is the 6x12 model let me know. I have some spare parts around here for one. They won't fit the 4x8

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

I am pretty sure it is the 4 by 8 one. And I do not think I will need any spare parts, at least for a long time. But will let you know when I am positive of the size.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Sounds like you got a good deal. I've never even seen a diamond wheel for one.

You may have found my manual. Did the URL have "d-and-d.com" in it? Was there a collection of flyers about the various surface grinders they made, and perhaps a price list or two? I scanned everything that I got when the factory went away.

Great. Just don't use coolant with the electro-magnetic chuck. That could be fatal, depending on where the water runs.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols