FS- NICE cast iron surface plate

Ive decided that Ive too many surface plates so am selling my 16x24" cast iron surface plate and rolling stand. Includes a wooden cover. Plate is mint, with snowflake like scraping marks, no dings, no gouges, all edges perfectly square

$125 OBO. Located in So. Cal near Bakersfield. May be possible to deliver it to LA area for a small fee.

Gunner

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there. - George Orwell

Reply to
Gunner

Gunner, when in the hell are you gonna move all your stuff to the midwest so that I can take advantage of some of the items you have to sell?????

sheesh...WHERE'S THE LOVE, MAN????

{:)

Mike

Reply to
The Davenports

How about somewhere between the Southeast and the Midwest? Makes me sick all the good deals he posts here and he's just too doggone far away.

Garrett Fulton

Reply to
Garrett Fulton

Ditto, how about somebody finding just loads of stuff around the East Coast or better yet Michigan....... I'd love to junk the lathe I have and pickup something I could actually use.

Russ Wizinsky

Russ Wizinsky - ProfessorWiz

When I find a decent job out there, in a CCW friendly place, with not much snow, and low humidity in the summer time. I can live with rain..some. Hunting has to be good, and enough small lakes around for windsurfing and sailing.

And someone willing to pay my moving expenses. I figure it will only take about 3 flat beds and 4 vans.

Gunner

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there. - George Orwell

Reply to
Gunner

Think Road Trip!

Reply to
Gunner

Actually..there may be loads of stuff in Michigan. Im sure it all didnt go into the scrap yards. It is the Rust Belt after all. You just have to hunt it out.

Networking networking networking.

Anyone need an Axelson lathe? Its 48" by 122". Make you a good deal on it

How about a Eberhart 36" shaper? Mighty nice looking machine. I can probably get it for less than $350. Its sitting under a tarp right next to the 12" Prentiss-Reed Lathe. It will be cheap too

Road trip!

Gunner

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there. - George Orwell

Reply to
Gunner

Did a 940 mile road trip from NC to upper NY state, 940 m. one way, in Jan. Nasty freezing rain and snow all the way to trade my sorry-ass Shoptask for an old Clausing 12" x 36". Drove it back down without stopping except for fuel and had that truck driver miserable pain between my shoulder blade muscles for two weeks. I'm road tripped out for this year. Why don't you get a 40' trailer, Gunner, load it up with all those too far away California good deals, and have a traveling sale to all your buds on this list? I'm buying the beer when you get to North Carolina.

Garrett

Reply to
Garrett Fulton

Apparently Haliburton has a web site, you *could* send them your personal information. My contact says they are actively hiring. I would think that somebody with machinery and weapons experience would be a shoo-in, no matter what the vintage of the applicant.

Jim

jim rozen

Actually I'm in the process of working with a hot shot driver for transport of a lathe from your area some time in the future. It'll be at least a couple of weeks if not a month before I get the cash up (I wish people would pay me on time) but you might start keeping you eyes open. I'm looking for the ultimate cheap of course. :-)

Here's what I'm looking for so if anybody finds a good deal of there on the west coast let me know.

I'm looking for something like a 15x54 LeBlonde with taper attachment. It can be a little smaller but I would really rather not go much smaller than a 14" though if I ran across a 10EE or equivalent I wouldn't complain much. The main things I'm wanting are good rigidity, a taper attachment, enough power to take at least a 0.100" cut, the ability to run at least 1200 rpm, and the ability to cut within at least 0.003" in 12" near the chuck. I don't need super precision but I don't need another lathe that cuts 0.005" or more out near the chuck.

A large spindle through hole would be a bonus but not required. I figure that 6,000 lbs would probably be the heaviest that could be hauled safely by her trailer unfortunately or I would even consider a larger lathe as well.

I'm figuring on a $2,000 budget though I might manage to stretch that a little for the right lathe.

Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX

Wayne Cook

Wayne..there is a Prentiss Reed at the local div. of OilWell Services that has become surplus, and a Okuma in LA that may fit the bill.

Ive also got my 13x36 Clausing Colchester round top for sale for $700. It has bed wear. It does have the taper attachment. Using the taper attachment to correct for bedwear, it will do better than .003 in 12" Includes 6" 4 jaw, several drive plates, handwheel collet closer, etc

Gunner

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there. - George Orwell

Reply to
Gunner

  1. Dont have a rig big enough to haul that much iron
  2. Dont have a Class 3 anymore
  3. Dont have the funds to fill the truck
  4. Dont have the time.

Other than that..sounds like hell of an idea.

Gunner

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there. - George Orwell

Reply to
Gunner

The single biggest impediment....they will not allow civilians employees to go armed. In a country where every mothers son carries an AK-74, they wont let employees carry even a pistol or a knife suitable for self defense.

Gunner

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there. - George Orwell

Reply to
Gunner

Sounds like this avenue has been investigated already - and rejected for that (sensible) reason.

Jim

jim rozen

Really ? No way. That's plain crazy. I wouldn't want to go near there before 9-11. It had briefly crossed my mind about doing pools and spa for them. I wouldn't last a week in that area, that or so bored from avoiding trouble.

I like how you said road trip twice. They'd freak when they saw the gas prices out here , I don't even look anymore. There is one of the cheapest in town right next to me and I could have sworn that I saw at one place I stop at for ice , it was 2.35 for 87 oct.

Need to work harder at my solar stuff. Got a lead on making my roof sloped more for next to nothing. Gonna need a boom truck and know just the right person. I wonder if I'm suppose to ask the city/county to "redo" my roof. My luck they would say that that's too good and you have to pay thousands to tell us its adequate. Might have to blow off a good deal just so I don't have to deal with potential legalized extortion problems. Weekend roof party...

Reply to
Sunworshiper

Got any details on those?

I thought about it but unfortunately it's not good enough. I really need it to cut true without the taper attachment. It would take to much time to setup that way.

BTW I'm willing to pay you to check it out and to be there when it's loaded to make sure it gets done right. My driver doesn't have any experience with machine tools.

Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX

Wayne Cook

Yup...that sensible reason got its first workout today in the person of Nick Berg.

Im sure you are happy that he didnt have a gun. If he had..he might have lost his head and someone might have gotten hurt.

Gunner

"A vote for Kerry is a de facto vote for bin Laden." Strider

Reply to
Gunner

Not a lot..but if you are interested, Ill take the time to check em out for you.

Gunner

"A vote for Kerry is a de facto vote for bin Laden." Strider

Reply to
Gunner

Yeah, should have left earlier so I didn't get to see the paper first thing in the morning.

I say to disqualify scrub so we get another choice.

Reply to
Sunworshiper

No hurry but if you get a chance see if you can find out something.

Thanks. Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX

Wayne Cook