anvil ID help needed

I have an anvil and I'm trying to determine the maker. I can make out the weight- 124#. There is also what appears to be a 'N' stamped above the mark. Here is a picture of the mark:

looks like S. Wright?

Thanks, John

Reply to
johnscigar

Hi John.

To me the markings look like "SOLID WROUGHT" written in a circular pattern. This type of marking was used by various manufacturers so, I believe, is not conclusive evidence of a particular maker, although the most common would be Peter Wright.

Where was the weight marked on the anvil? Where the numerals close together or spaced further apart across the anvil?

How many handling holes are there? What are their shapes and location? I'm of course not speaking of the hardie or pritchel holes.

Can you describe the shape of the feet? Especially if there's a flat surface across the the top front and top rear feet.

Can you post more photos if needed?

dennis in nca

Reply to
dgrup

Here's the anvil:

There are 3 handling holes and the weight is marked between the feet on one side, close together. You can see it in the first picture.

Reply to
johnscigar

Might better hold paper over it and move a pencil over the figures.

Martin

Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Are you sure that's 124# ? Old anvils were often marked in hundred weight (112#, if memory serves). The first number is hundred weight, the next is quarters of a hundred wight and the last one or two is remaing pounds. So an anvil marked 124 (if math and memory are correct) would be 172#.. Aside from that, sorry can't help.

Reply to
r payne

I only see one picture but it's a very good image. I'd say from that it's not a Peter Wright as the weight is not laid out in the English stone weight form I see on all other English anvils. Additionally if it were a PW it would have 4 handling holes (including the one on the bottom).

It looks US made and either cast steel or iron.

Can you describe the bottom on the anvil, in detail?

dennis in nca

Reply to
dgrup

Reply to
Toolgypsy

I put it on a scale and it came up 124#.

Reply to
johnscigar

I added a picture of the bottom to the page:

John

Reply to
johnscigar

It is a forged anvil. The holes in the front, back and bottom are called porter holes and are there for porter bars to hold the avnil with while it is forged under a steam/power hammer. It has a PW look to it, but the marking of weight in pounds makes it unlikely. There were forged anvils made in the US, so that is probably where it came from.Any more than that go to the book Anvils in America.

Reply to
doug roberts