Anvil touch-up

Got a new-to-me anvil today - Peter Wright patent "solid wrought" marked for 146 lbs (1 1 6). Should on the whole be an improvement from my 104
lb cast-with-steel-top unit, assuming I get much time to play with either. Seemed reasonable at $200 within an hour's drive.
Has a few small defects on the top which I expect to be repairable. Reading up on what I can find the usual approach seems to be hardfacing rod (with Ernie waxing eloquent about hardfacing wire, but I don't have a wire welder and I do have 10 lbs of hardfacing rod, though I don't recall offhand what type it is).
Ernie's wire (dualshield MIG) method had the advantage of needing no preheat - all the rod use instructions instruct to preheat significantly. In any case thorough grinding to clean before hardfacing is recommended.
Any significant points I've missed? I prefer to ask the dumb questions in advance and save the pain of avoidable mistakes when possible...

Ecnerwal wrote:

Your approach sounds fine. But I encourage you to simply try using the anvil as is for a bit. Unless you're going to put it in your living room to show off .. :-)
GWE

Repair advice may be mulled for anywhere from a month to 10 years before being acted upon ;-)

Nah, I can procrastinate longer than that. I was going to reply hours ago!:)
If the face only has a few rough spots or divots, just find the smooth spots and use those areas. I think you'll find you eventually tend to use only a small part of the face for most of your forging.
A pristine anvil face is not necessary for most work and for work that requires it you can just put the work on a smooth spot.
I worked for years on an old Mousehole that had a separated face for about 4 inches from the heel. Had no problems working on the good spots. That anvil is still in service part time to Saint Phlip.
BTW, A little swayback is a Good Thing. Even black hot steel often tends to spring back a bit when struck: Cooler steel is even worse. Some swayback lets you allow for that when straightening a piece.
Besides, it's a sign of long and honorable service. :)
--
Bring back, Oh bring back
Oh, bring back that old continuity.

Have you seen the info on the "Ron Reil " type propane burners ? A small to medium forge can be made for under two hundred bucks ... I made two burners for less than twenty . Nice ones too , with chokes , nicely machined throat , they work very well . Might get around to the forge one of these days .
--

Snag aka OSG #1
'76 FLH "Bag Lady"

I was building a Riel burner, but at some point I seem to have mislaid the difficult-to-find reducer I'd machined up for it. And I never did figure out quite how to construct the flare without some heavy duty machine shop goodies at my disposal. I suppose, though, that it's one more project I ought to scrape back together and get done. Even for my jewellery work, it'd be nice to have a kiln for bulk soldering and a foundry for making ingots. I'll see about this once I recover a little from my latest finished project - vasectomy. Owie.
-Rust
-
Rust wrote:

Hey Rust,
The reducer will be a royal pain unless you go for a galvanised one (which is okay as this part shouldn't get hot enough to make the zinc come off).
I found a pipe connector and a piece of stainless exhaust pipe makes a nice flare. Once the pipe connector is ground to a force fit inside the ss exhaust pipe it can screw on and off the burner tube. I don't seem to have an email address for you if you could supply one I can send you a pic.
A vasectomy project? Was that DIY? I had my gall bladder out on Wednesday, and that's owie enough for me... can't imagine that much pain to the boyz.
Regards Charles
I'll see what I can find for galvanized reducers. It's what I was working with before, but I think it was the last one in town by the look of it. Surely there's some more by now. I hope.

It's not supposed to be particularly painful, but I don't think the freezing really took. Four snips, and each one of them is kinda burned into my mind right now. Trying to wash the memory out.
-
Rust wrote:

Hey Rust, did the pics come through? Regards Charles

Yep, got them just fine. Thanks very much.
-Rust
-

BTDT , over twenty years ago . I still remember the pain ...
There's somebody selling the flares , but a bit pricey , I thought . I machined and welded stock pipe fittings , but also have one that a friend built , looks rougher , but functions just as well . I'm just more anal than he is ... I also saw in a link related to one of the Reil Burner sites a small forge/kiln that was made from like 10 or 12 firebricks and some scrap angle irons . Less than fifty for the brick , and free angle if you watch the curb ... I see a couple of old bed frames a month around my neighborhood .
--

Snag aka OSG #1
none to one to reply

Yeah, I'm thinking I can put this together if I just launch myself at it.
-Rust
-

Ya need something like that machined..email me a print, and some specs and Ill crank it out for you. You pay shipping, I may have the materials already..if so..thats free.
Ive some heavy duty machine shop goodies <G>
Hope that vas wasnt a DIY project.
Gunner

"If I'm going to reach out to the the Democrats then I need a third hand.There's no way I'm letting go of my wallet or my gun while they're around."
"Democrat. In the dictionary it's right after demobilize and right before demode` (out of fashion). -Buddy Jordan 2001
Gunner wrote:

Geez there are some decent folk surfacing these days, good to see :-) Charles

This thread has been cross-posted for the most part, I see your post is only going to a.c.b tho and Gunner may not have seen it. :/ (did you knowed that? do you know how to change it? etc)
Everybody knows Gunner, he's all over the place. :) Even you've met Gunner now. :)
LOL, when you called Charly "Mr Bastard" that was funny as anything! I'd bet money he thought so too. :)
Alvin in AZ
snipped-for-privacy@XX.com wrote:

I try not to cross post where I can, but I'm sure her saw my sentiments ;-)

Charly's a good bloke, and has a good sense of humor :-)
Regards Charles P.S. You should hear what I call my close friends... would make an old sailor blush :-D
Chilla wrote:

That almost warrants the DI's response. ' Sir??!!?! I ain't no pansy-ass officer, I WORK for a living!' I got to use that not too long ago, the guy almost dropped his teeth he laughed so hard. Ex-Navy...
Charly ;-)

Thanks, I appreciate that. Got some photos though that suggest I was barking up the wrong tree looking for a smooth flare when a shoulder won't hurt its operation, and it looks like I'll be able to set the thing up on my own. Probably.

Nah, but it had may as well have been. Years of experience at the dentist's office have made me suspect that I'm kinda resistant to freezing, and now I have definitive proof.
-Rust
-

Ive a rather beat up old Hay-Budden, 36" long from tip of horn to heel, that someone had welded the top on in a couple places with regular rod. I didnt have to mark the soft spots..they were found in use......